Your Love (Outfield 80's cover)

mamm

Hello, fine folks from HR. What do you think of this record of my cover band playing and old Outfield song? Can you kindly spot some problems I may have missed in my mixing room?

Production-wise, I did shoot for that processed/bright/arena kinda sound from the 80's.

Great song. Personally I love the two different vocals...adds some spice to it. As far as sound, I would say that the drums are a little too bright. Also I noticed when the drums kick in there are a couple times that it sounded like the hats forgot to play and makes a "space"...but that may be intentional or the way the songs is played. It just stood out to me and it may because the hats and cymbals are too bright. Good job.

I agree with the drums too loud / too bright, they are overtaking the vocal tracks. That palm muted guitar is also making the mix seem heavy on the left. I'm pretty sure it's got some bass / mud that is pulling the mix that way. But it also might just be a little too loud. Last thing, you've gotta get those harmonies in there! Sounding really good so far though.

Well, thanks so far! Good suggestions, keep them coming please.

About the harmonies: yeah, I must get the vocalists back in the studio to track the harmonies; there are some great sounding ones on the original song. I'm the guitarist, by the way.

I thought this sounded pretty decent. I liked the guitar sounds. They're missing a little bit on the higher end, so they're a bit muffled. But not bad by any means. They sound good.

Vocals are nice and clear. Singers have nice voices. There were a couple of pitchy notes. Some of the higher notes are a quarter-step flat. I was in a cover band who did this one and I did the singing. So I know how difficult hitting those notes were. There is also a bit of a lack of energy in the vocal performances. Show me you're into it. Don't just "get through the take." It should really be belted out.

Drums are a little to "stadium" for my tastes. Yeah they're a bit bright. But the reverb is too big for me. I'd back off the verb on the guitars too. But that's just me.

Thanks, TripleM.

As soon as I get to track the harmonies, I'll revisit this mix with all these good suggestions in mind. Seems that "de-brightening" the drums and "de-mudding" the main guitar are the pressing issues. I'll try being more aggressive with the HPF on the main guitar and see what I can do about the drums.

The original version is one of those songs that I'll get pissed at someone for playing at the bar, then find myself singing the chorus without realizing what I'm doing. Apparently it confuses me! :)

That snare sound in the original... in any other song it would sound terrible, but for some reason it's perfect for this song. I give you points for going for it, but I agree it's a little bright here. Hihat might be a bit loud. I like the volume of the bell. I think the kick is a little weak, but I'm not listening through the best speakers, so I might be mistaken. I like the change in singers in the middle. Could use some background vocals.

Thanks, NotThatBright. I did shoot for that over processed/bright 80's arena sound on the drums, but all the fine people here have spoken and seems that I was too heavy-handed... lol

+1 to most of what everyone else has said: needs the harmonies. Check the pitch on the vocal delivery. The gaps in the drum pattern stick out.

I do like the big, bright arena-like drum tone though.

Thanks VomitHatSteve - great alias, by the way (sounds like something penned by Frank Zappa).

I'll fill the gaps on the hat pattern. I agree, they are really distracting. Funny how something so obvious remains unnoticed when you are focusing on details...

I'll "de-bright" the hat and the snare a little bit - but I think I'll stick to my guns regarding the cymbals, I'm liking their sound a lot.

...now on to think of something to attract both vocalists back to the studio for harmonies... Maybe offering free pizza would do the trick? That trick works with drummers... lol

Hi folks, just an update: I had some free time today, so I revisited this mix and applied some of your suggestions (more agressive HPF on the main guitar and no more gaps on the hat pattern). SoundCloud link at the first post.

Thanks again all!

I agree with all the previous comments.... I have always liked that song. It does need some harmonies though. Can't wait to hear the next mix. Good job!

Back