Your favorite/least favorite on-line gear supplier?

Nasty stuff, Titan--such stories make my blood boil. Do you happen to know of any way I can check my DAW (Yama aw16g) for past use? It looks new, and I don't see any past songs saved, but is there any other obvious way to check--as you did for our ADAT? I suppose I can check for any saved effects patches, or ?

J.

jeffree said:
Do you happen to know of any way I can check my DAW (Yama aw16g) for past use? It looks new, and I don't see any past songs saved, but is there any other obvious way to check--as you did for our ADAT? I suppose I can check for any saved effects patches, or ?

J.

No Jeff, I'm not familiar with those units. It's a nice feature of the ADAT's- to log time used, but it caught MF red-handed! Of course, the small nick right on top of the ADAT, and the fact that it wasn't wrapped in the customary plastic, was the only thing that alerted me. Had I not been paying attention, I might have never known. Then, I saw the ORIGINAL CUSTOMER'S NAME right there on the box! They had left HER return Fed Ex label on the same box they sent me! I bet somebody got fired for that. Nah.

Good luck with yours. Hopefully, my situation is rare.

titan,
PEACE

Thanks, Titan. A closing thought before I shut down the computer and actually record some music... I just called Yamaha and spoke with a wonderful (techie) guy there about the arrival condition of my Yama 16g. In short, he was shocked, and urged me to have MF ship me another, wrapped with a bow, at no extra cost. In his words, there's no telling what happened to such an open box during UPS transit. Thus, my next call is to MF for a new unit. Shit.

Thanks again for you help, Titan, and sorry (other folks) if this thread became too self-involved between two of us.

J.

Best: Cyberpowerpc.com. Relatively decent pricing, excellent warranty and great customer service. They called us a day after we submitted a custom job to make a configuration correction.

Shaky: SamAsh. Anyone who puts a table of contents in the middle of a catalog is either illiterate or still has issues of being born Siserian.

Cy

I must say, if I were in a location with a REAL pro audio store, I would try my best to have a "relationship" with a local shop. But alas, I'm in what John Lennon would have called NOWHERE MAN CITY.
But hey, I'm learning some valuable stuff in this very thread.

titan,
PEACE

Same here. I'd love to go to a real live pro store, but I'm too far away to make the drive.

I'd rather shop from the comfort of my home considering the distance.

Plus I can go to any store I want to and don't have to pay for gas or fight traffic and deal with no-nothing sales people.

Sennheiser said:
Same here. I'd love to go to a real live pro store, but I'm too far away to make the drive.

It seems that everyone is assuming you have to physically transport yourself to a reputable pro audio dealer to establish a relationship. I have some good news for you: most of them have telephones!

AND it gets even better: most of them are willing to ship your purchases!!!

Besides, Sennheiser, how far away are you from St. Louis, anyway?

littledog said:

It seems that everyone is assuming you have to physically transport yourself to a reputable pro audio dealer to establish a relationship. I have some good news for you: most of them have telephones!

AND it gets even better: most of them are willing to ship your purchases!!!

[/QUOTE

Here's the thing Dog. Yea, we can talk on the phone, but those guys are going from person to person ALL DAY LONG. They are thinking about the next person "down the line," while they are talking to me. You know, kind of a rush thing. I can't blame them. I couldn't do it day after day.

Plus, it's nice to be able to walk around, take your time looking at "stuff." I make it to MARS from time to time. But that's like going to WalMart.

titan,
PEACE

Well, the worst is gone- Mars!
I agree with Littledog on Sweetwater. A simple online search will blow their prices out of the water. Musician's Friend doesn't have half of the stuff they advertise.
Best in my experience- Macmidimusic and 8th street. Excellent prices, cheap/fast shipping, everything in stock. I also would like to put in a good word for The Sound Room. Very limited specific inventory, but excellent personalized service with attention to detail and quality.-Richie

titanship-

Where ya at in KY? If Nashville isn't too far for a daytrip, you should call and stop by MacMidiMusic (right off music row). They really know their stuff and are great to work with. You can set up an appontment and try out gear there. If you are more north, ICB audio in Cincinnati is a very good pro dealer. They don't have the stock on hand that MacMidi has, but they will make you good deals. I have a good relationship with both dealers and have been very happy with both of them.

H2H

I'd like to cancel out at least one positive vote for 8th street.

My experience with them was that they sent me a product that was not in new condition. I returned it and the second one was worse. I received the distinct impression that they are a small-time operation who's customer service department consists of one nice lady with far too much work to do. I'll never order from them again.

Back