your experience w/m-audio cards?

insider33

I'll be buying a soundcard soon and am in the process of research. As I'm just a hobby (albeit serious) home recorder and I don't have a huge budget to work with, I've found the m-audio delta 410 or audiophile 2496 would be a good fit for me.

Just hoping to get some feedback from you folks more familiar with their ins and outs, goods and bads.

Tell me everything.

Matt

M-audio makes great stuff. You'll be very pleased with it, and the price is good. I've got a Delta 1010 and a MIDIsport 2x2 and love both of 'em.

i own the audiophile and I'm having a field day with it. beefed up my memory to 512 mbs and I get 4 ms latency with a 1.7 ghz celeron. memory is PC133 sdr and the hard drives are 20 gb 5200 rpms things are running pretty decently

i have been using the 2496 for about 2 years now, great card, has never given me a problem (it does not have 1/4 inch ins/outs though, which could be a prob if you dont want to run the one end through RCA), and about 8 months ago i also picked up the delta 44, great card as well, have never had a problem (this *has 1/4 inch ins/outs, thats why i got it, its also external which makes it easy to get to).
great thing about M-audio products is that all of your devices are in the same control panel, and you can easily switch between them

i think M-audio would be a wise choice

peace
LB

I got a delta 44 and have no problems. I had an audiophile before this and it broke mysteriously. I believe it can be fixed but it had something to do with always having to unplug and replug cords. It ended up f&cking something up. My delta 44 has had zero problems.

Another satisfied Audiophile 2496 customer here. As long as the limited number of inputs don't bother you, go for it. Rock Solid stability and reliability.

Thanks, guys, for being candid. I'm definitely sold on the quality of m-audio stuff. I guess now it's just a matter of figuring out which card suits my needs.

I've been using a Delta 44 and it has never failed me. I would like some more in/outs so I'm going to upgrade soon. If you don't plan to record more than 4 tracks simultaneously, the Delta 44 is great for you.

I'm using a delta 66 with omni break out box on one computer, and on my other computer which is dedicated for Gigastudio and nothing else, I have a Delta 44 card on it. I have never had a problem EVER with either card. I used to have a MIDI MAN D-Man PCI card which was ok, then I upgraded to the M-Audio cards.

Cheers

I've used the audiophile, replaced it with a 410, great cards, and compared them to an Echo Mia this last week. The Mia has cool features like 8 virtual outs and balanced I/O on the card itself but I'm letting it go and I'm sticking with the 410 for a while longer.
I'm using my computer for more than just recording and it really sucks that the Mia craps out when you're playing sounds with a sample rate lower than 32k. Never experienced anything like that with the Deltas.
(I mainly use the spdif i/o with a Mindprint DI-Port as external converter)
They may not be the cream of the crop but the M-audio cards are not just great recording cards, they're excellent allrounders.

Have had a delta 44 for almost a year now I think and have had no technical issues with it, I just wish I would have held out another check and bought a Delta 1010

i've had an audiophile 2496 for 3 years now and absolutely love it. it's quiet, and i've used it for recording (acoustic guitar/vocals) as well as remastering old analog tapes, and it's done an admirable job at both.

i just recently upgraded to a Delta 1010 (NOT the LT, but the full-blown one), and i can definitely hear a difference between it and the 2496. the 1010 is quieter (lower noise floor), due to the breakout box (and thus the converters being outside the computer). the A/D conversion sounds a little nicer too.

i'm actually running both cards in my machine to give me 10 inputs. that's one of the great things about the M-Audio cards, is that you can use up to 4 of them in the same machine. i use the two 2496 inputs these days for scratch vocals when recording a band "live".

anyway, you can't go wrong with the 2496. Just don't be running windoze ME (a friend has the 2496 with ME and has had nothing but problems). :D

wade

Thanks for the tip about running it on Windows Me, mrface2112. Shouldn't be a problem for me.

I've got a new Compaq running XP w/ an 80-gig HD, 2.6 gHz celeron processor and 256 mb of ram, expandable to 1 gb.

It'll be a multi-purpose machine, as my wife will be using it, too, for word processing and internet stuff, but I'm happy w/ the firewall and it's got a cd writer so I can back up my work.

Windoze ME was a turd anyway. Id get rid of regaurdless.

I have the 1010lt and am very satisfied- price per quality is very good.

I have a Delta1010lt, I fully satisfied with it. Just some clicks on the right channel but Í´m sure that this is because my system has low resources. Need more RAM, and a new HD.
Buying a soundcard from this guys it´s something you wont regret.

Tama

I guess I'm the only guy around who hated his M-Audio product. I had a Delta 1010 and had nothing but problems... it never worked properly and I finally just returned it... so there are people out there who have had problems.

Not only that, but the 1010 is their flagship and it can't even be expanded, a little weak if you ask me.

Later,
musik

Back