Your advice required

CardBoardCutOut

Hi there,

I am about to go digital, I have been pondering it for a long while now and as I am about to move from the UK to Australia its the ideal chance for me to switch over.

Software wise I have chosen cubase VST with the halion package to be my base but other than this software, I have not yet purchased anything for the studio! I have the budget (after selling a LOT of equipment here) and I have done quite a bit of research but before I actually get my cash out I would love it if you guys would tell me what your version of my shopping list should be. That way I'll find out if I am looking at the right stuff or if I am way way way off.

Particularly I'd like advice on soundcards, hard drives, synths and monitors. The studio will be used in conjunction with a film studio making soundtracks for computer animated films. I want it to be as versatile as possible because I'll be recording everything from string quartets to thrash metal bands to the sound of a pin dropping.

Anyway, enough about that...thanks for your time,

Steve Vranch and The Card Board Cut Outs

If you're going to be doing a lot of live recording I would suggest that maybe Cubase SX will be better than VST, if you haven't already purchased VST that is. It's much better adapted to live recordings than VST is. Also, I find editing is much easier in SX, both in terms of what editing features are available and in their ease of use, and there's loads of really good plug-in effects. Also, SX has support for video files, which I don't believe VST has. Sorry if you have already bought VST, in which case this is all irrelevant anyway, if not look at SX, it's not to much more expensive, but really is awesome (in my opinion).

Not really sure about the other stuff as much I'm afraid. Soundcard, it depends how much you have budgeted for it and how many inputs/outputs you need I guess. If you're looking at sub-£500 then M-Audio are meant to be pretty good, above that I'm not really sure, sorry. Hard drives, it's better to have two, one for your programs, and one to save all of your audio files (or other files) onto. They should also preferably be at least 7200rpm. Not really sure about synths I'm afraid, I haven't had loads of experience with them. If you're looking at hardware, then I think Waldorf make good synths (Pulse or Microwave), although again I'm not really that sure, so maybe try to get a more experienced opinion on that area.

Just another suggestion, for a soundcard if you've got a fair bit to spend then maybe look at a Motu audio interface. They're apparently realy good, plus you can daisy-chain several together to increase the number of inputs/outputs available to you.

Back