You won't believe your ears-LI Slim goes electric

LI Slim

A couple months ago I spent an evening jamming with a group called The Nose, and one result was a full-band recording of my song, "I Hate You Spring". This particular process had some limitations, which I will later disclose, but I think it's worth considering anyway. Please tell me what you think:

http://artistlaunch.com/LarryKolker

Thanks.

"I Hate You Spring" is my favorite LISlim song, but I rather the acoustic version.....i dont know if it was the quality of the recording or what, but the original version had more character and was more true.....i think this song would fit an electric arrangement, but it would have to sound angrier than this one...the playing wasnt very tight and it tended to sound to "happy".....I still love the song......

Larry,Larry,Larry,Larry,Larry,Larry,LISLIM,LAAAARRRRYYYYYY!!!!!

........ WAIIITTT, I JUST Gotta' hook up some spkrs to this PC!!
...Waittttt..... Let me get ready to burn this to c/d so I can jam it in my car!!!

BRB..... (Man you KNOW this is my jammy!!!)

B-Bk-In-A Flash!!! Gotta' Get Ready 4 This!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

I love both versions. You've got a good start with the electric part.
I think you need to bring the drums and bass up relative the vox/guitar at that transition where it starts to get electric. And I think you need to splice the real acoustic part over the front end for contrast. Maybe have the last few bars acoustic as well for symmetry.

Sorry- not a big fan of that electric lead. The idea/tones had merit; just needs some work to separate it from a wall of noise.

Did you record this to cassette tape?

Larry,You KNOW I luv this song, but i rather hear you play it by yourself! You and the acoustic was there,but the band sounded
like they were wayyyyyy behind you! Drum mic'ing could used some work and the electric lead sounded like too much flange was used. Was this recorded on cassette?? Audible hiss is apparent. I'm sorry Larr, but you are better off with Toby & the
HomeReccers backing this song!
Overall, I liked it (Only 'cause that's my fave and you're my man)
but it would have been more enjoyable if NOSE didn't try to outshine and outloud your voc's & acoustic.

But it's still my fave LISLIMMER jammy!!!! :D

Afterthought

The transition from acoustic to electric (and back) that you need to draw from is on Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick".

Fun lyrics!!! Almost words out of my mouth (okay, I LOVE spring..if you could change it to "I hate you Christmas" though....:))

This could be a kick butt electric song. Needs some attitude and edge in the recording though. Maybe make the vocals a little more "snotty", and make them guitars crunchy as hell!!! :)
Sounds like it was supposed to be a quicky demo, so I won't go too much into production stuff. I am sure if you pursue a real recording of this song, it will turn out much better.

Ed

Thanks Ed, Doc, Gidge and Q!

I think all of your comments are well taken.

I had no input into the recording process. My acoustic was plugged directly into a PA. I sang into an SM58 that was plugged into the same PA. The drums and bass were miced by the same single sm58, and the lead guitarist's amp was miced by a third SM58. It was recorded on an old 4-track. The "engineer" (the bass player) gave me several takes, each with two stereo tracks (which he had converted into .wav files). I took everything apart and put it together the best I could, but I couldn't separate the drums from the bass or my vocal from the acoustic guitar.

I think the bass is pretty good. The drummer was sort of a beginner and I had to push the tempo (although she is kinda hot, at least). The lead guitarist loves noise.

Anyway, it was a good first experience. It's fun to play with a group and I hope to do more of it.

This is a fun song. Ditto all the comments on recording, but after reading how it was done, I'd say you did a good job with that methodology.

Where can I hear the acoustic version???

I'm working on an internet collaboration of a song of mine called "I Hate the Rain" very far apart from this song musically, but very close in lyrical concept.

It isn't quite ready for "prime time" here, look for it in a week/month...

Queue

Thanks Queue- The acoustic version can be found by clicking on my "website" button; it's also on that artistlaunch page.

Back