You Personal Favourite Tube Microphone for under 1000.00 USD

What's YOUR favourite Low Priced Tube Microphone?

• ADK - A-48

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • AKG - SolidTube

Votes: 12 6.2%
  • Apex Electronics - Apex460

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • Audio Technica - AT3060

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • CAD - M9

• Groove Tubes - GT66

Votes: 14 7.3%
  • Marshall Electronics - MXLV69ME

Votes: 29 15.0%
  • Rode Microphones - K2

Votes: 21 10.9%
  • Rode Microphones - NTK

Votes: 43 22.3%
  • SE Electronics - Z5600A

• Studio Projects - T3

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Studio Projects - TB1

Votes: 6 3.1%

• Total voters

Lance135

Here's my very unofficial poll to see whose favourite what low priced tube microphones.

Okay, I had to leave out a few microphones as you can only have 12. Here are a few more that I hadn't really heard any buzz on:

Jurgensmeyer - JMT-100
Nady - TCM1050
Oktava - MKL2500
SoundKing - SKEA002

The best one I've used so far under a grand is the Groove Tubes MD-1B.

I haven't personally used the CAD M-9 yet, but I've heard nothing but good reviews from people whose opinions I value highly . . . plus I like every other mic CAD makes.

I've also heard some pretty amazing things tracked with a T-3.

Others I've used include the Marshall v69 and v77. Neither of which I particularly liked. The NTK has kind of a similar vibe, but I think it's noticeably smoother, particularly on consonants and transients with a lot of high end -- although it's a pretty sibilant bastard on-axis with a lot of singers. The GT-66 is interesting. It's midrangier, and doesn't have nearly as much proximity effect as most LDC's I've used. It's very different-sounding; hard to put my finger on.

I own both the CAD M9 and the Groove Tubes MD1B, and would recommend both highly. I was not impressed with the TB1, but YMMV.

I've never used ALL those mics before so I have no idea which one (1) would be my favorite.

I should have included the Groove Tubes MD1B in the list, but the list price of that microphone and the AT4060 were both over a thousand bucks. I guess no one pays retail anyway.

I'm slowly getting sold on tube microphones and tube technology in general. I noticed how much my mixes would come alive once I added some guitars tracks with my tube amplifier.

Thanks for the feedback (feedback is good in this case). Chessrock, the GT-66 might an interesting microphone to try out. So many large condensers have scooped out midrange response, a midrangy microphone might really come in handy when your mix starts to get top and bottom heavy.

People are just going to pick the one they own. No one has use even close to all of those mics.

That said, I really like my ADK TC, which retails new for $600, but I got it for $300 on ebay. On vocals I like it much better than my NTK, which I sold.

Lance135 said:
I'm slowly getting sold on tube microphones and tube technology in general. I noticed how much my mixes would come alive once I added some guitars tracks with my tube amplifier.

I'd be careful about making that kind of a sweeping generalization.

What makes a tube guitar amp desirable isn't necessarily what's going to make something else desirable. A guitar amp and a mic are two different things.

I mean . . . I suppose you could make the leap that "Hey, tubes are great in a guitar amp, so why wouldn't they be equally as good as a salad dressing?" :D

Last edited:
From what I have used I would put the NTK over the V69, more detail.

From what I have read, the AT4060 is recommended by George Massenburg which sets it up high in my book.

For $1000 dollars however, I would go with the Soundelux U195, not a tube but probably better than these others.

If it's for you and you alone, don't ask here, go try out the mics in a high end shop. You may find a combination of preamp and mic, at a lower price point, that could fit your voice like a glove.

If you want an overall versatile mic, the Soundelux would be my vote.

chessrock said:
I'd be careful about making that kind of a sweeping generalization.

What makes a tube guitar amp desirable isn't necessarily what's going to make something else desirable. A guitar amp and a mic are two different things.

That's true. I definitely don't want to overhype tube technology. Transistors are what make modern technology and home recording possible. Actually, I just ordered an AKG C414 ULS as a general purpose and possibly vocal microphone (about as far from a tube mic as you can get), and I use my transistor Fender amp a lot more than my Dean Markley tube amp (even though the Dean Markley has probably the nicest distortion I've ever heard).

Still, I feel I have to do something to warm up the coldness of a direct recording rig with nothing but transistors, and AD/DA converters.

I've heard a few recordings with low priced tube microphones I thought were pretty amazing, and wanted to get some subjective opinions on various microphones; also, to see what other guys on this board are using.

There are other ways to warm up recordings: buy a used Studer two track reel to reel and master everything down to that, but it feels like a step backwards...

You might wanna look into an NTV. The Jenson transformer cost more than the capsule of an NTK, and while I haven't used an NTK, from what I understand the NTV is a bit darker. Also, the capsule on the NTV is edge-terminated. Not sure if they carried that feature over to the NTK or not.

About $400-500US on ebay.

You might want to consider a UAD-1 card. The compressors that come with it tend to turn a sterile track into a thing of analog sounding beauty. It can help you eliminate digital coldness.

Good suggestion on the Rode NTV. I guess that's a discontinued model. It seems to show how the market was tending toward brighter microphones.

I'd ask about the UAD-1 card, which seems interesting, but I wanted to keep this mainly on the topic of tube microphones.

Lance135 said:
There are other ways to warm up recordings: buy a used Studer two track reel to reel and master everything down to that ...

Or just use good recording technique so you don't have to try and cover anything up after the fact.

Lance135 said:
How does the CAD VSM compare to the M9? Have you tried both, Warhead?
Yup. The VSM is quite natural and works very well on vocals, it has a strong midrange response also and sounds great on many guitar cabs. The low freq response is pretty flat down to 10hz also. It uses the same 1.1" capsule as their VX2 (I own one of those and use it often) which is now discontinued.

The M9 is more "tube-y" than the VSM, has a warmer sound to me than the VSM with not quite the same top end response. The M9 is a good mic for the price though, and offers something real in the sub $400 range. The M9 is also pretty flat down to 10hz.

The VSM is more natural overall, the M9 is a little darker hence the warmer comment. Both great mics, but I think the VSM is worth the extra $200. I love close mic'd vocals using the VSM and there are no sibilance issues with it that I have found. My experience with the M9 is more on guitar cab mic'ing, worked great in that app and takes eq well. The M9 is a great first tube mic for anyone that will always find some use even as the mic locker grows. If you're anything like me...it will grow and grow and grow until you think you've gone crazy...

CAD is an underrated mic manufacturer in my opinion.

War

K2?

Has anyone tried the K2?. I'm thinking about getting one for my main mike (which will go with my NT1000 and SM57) when i start to build a decent demo studio. I knows its had some great reviews but i'd like a little more to go on than just reviews (becuase most magazines tend to only give good reviews)

Yeah, I saw some rave reviews on the K2, as well, but you have to take those with a grain of salt. As someone on here said, "Something's gotta suck". Everything can't be good.

Still, everything I've read tells me it's basically a multi pattern version of the NTK. Of course, we know that you can't change the mic without changing the mic. In other words, it can't be exactly like the NTK. Add a second diaphragm and change the circuitry, the sound has to change at least a little bit.

Hasn't anyone tried some of the more obscure microphones I've listed? What about the Jurgensmeyer - JMT-100 or the SoundKing - SKEA002? Even the Apex460 or the SE Electronics - Z5600A?

My gut feeling is that the CAD, Groove Tubes, Studio Projects and Rode microphones blow most of the others away, but it seems that MXL69Me owners are pretty happy with their purchase, as well.

Last edited:
I am not an expert, but i really like my groove tubes am 61. I bought one a long time ago for $600 and was real impressed. I saw that they were going for $200 on ebay now, and bought another one so I could have a matching pair. I think for $200, they are quite the bargain.

-wietlispach
www.soutrane.com

Back