you experienced recorders will love this.....

dave in toledo

there is some guy on the fostex forum claiming he gets commercial cd quality and volume, with nothing but a mr8, no pre amps no mixer no outboard effects and no software....and he just posted his first recording ever last week..... any comments from the older guys hear, .........of course he said he has problems with low input volume

another guy claims the mastering effects on the mr8 are "great" hahahahahahahh ,,,,, comments....

oh well just curious about opinions, it bothers me that newbies are looking for help and they are getting advice from someone who started recording last week...

I have always used the PC as the final step in the mix down process. I have not tried to use the MR8 by itself.

However I have found that many tracks that come from the MR8 need 'volume' work before a CD level result can be produced. To just use the MR8 would require much more care when recording to get levels at the best level. It's not something I would try, but that's just me.

It also depends on what final result is expected. For recording a few tracks and mixing down, the MR8 by itself is fairly capable. However when trying to do very many instruments and/or vocals, more tracks are needed to get a good final result. Just a three piece band (drums, guitar, bass) and one or more vocalists is already in the range of needing more than 6 tracks.

Ed

opinions

same here, i use the mr8 but run through a mixer first, then go to n tracks, lots of work to be done here before finished product

i listened to this guys recording he posted, its mostly digital distortion hahaahh

i guess it just get my goat the way some people claim they get such great quality and have the right answers, and someone listens to that advice and then is disapointed that the results arent anywhere near the point they were directed too...

dont get me wrong i love my mr8 but i could never in any good faith tell someone that the quality from it alone is the same as a commercial cd....

i accually used nothing but the Mr-8 for the one of the few songs that ive recorded so far, and though i admit it is far far far far from being cd quality, it's actually not bad. With software i could probably make it much better, but till christmas ima be using mostly the mr-8.

I have been using the Zoom MRS1044 for a couple of years and making what I thought were pretty decent demos until I discovered Cubase.
Now I track on the Zoom and dump the wave file into my laptop/Cubase and mix away. I have so much more control and I can mix down and burn CD's from my laptop. The quality of my recordings was very limited by the Zoom alone.

I don't own an MR8, but let me say something outlandish. Given an easy source (acoustic guitar, vocals, drum machine), WITH a preamp and nice condensors, if you keep it simple, choose the right room and don't use any effects, I'd imagine you can make a nice, clean, CD quality recording on an MR8. I don't think it'd be all that difficult.

thats with i thought

with at least a preamp, no less , i think your right about that.... good quality and commercial quality are pretty far apart. i couldnt beleive the diffference in my first cd, i listened to it and then i put on a commercial cd and almost blew my speakers..hahahaha
but since going to the pc not nearly as much of a difference...

thanks for the opinions, i wanted to make shure i wasnt the only one with this viewpoint..

When you mix on the PC, you get direct access to track WAV files. It's then easy to spot noise problems and level issues. That info can then be used to produce better tracks the next time around.

Also the ability really mix, with level controls, fades, etc can make a real difference in the result.

The MR8's ability to produce high quality tracks is usually more related to the connected gear and environment than the MR8. If one uses less than good mics, or has a noisy room, the MR8 will faithfully record that as well.

Ed

thats it

so much more control drawing volume and effect envilopes, using the spectrum analyser to help with prober eq, GREAT effects...that can be panned also,

and... after having gotten better mics and learning how to use the equipment i have, and i have done alot of work in my studio with sound deadining, and even made a couple of gobo's

people who listen to my recordings now say they sound just like songs on the radio or on there favorite cd.... and its fun too, getting those files on the pc and playing with them is as much fun as the recording itself..

Last edited:
I have owned my MR8 for a few years now; and I've only used it really to record ideas I've had. I've messed around recording a few cover songs just for complete fun but I've never really done anything with mixing/editing and I would like to start.

I noticed when I uploaded the .wav files they were pretty weak. I've done some research and people have said a preamp will help boost power.

I've also read that a little mixer will be effective when using the MR8.

My questions are of complete ignorance; and I shamefully have no idea where to begin.
- I understand what an amplifier does but how do I use a preamp with the MR8? Where does it connect and basically it just supplies the MR8 with more power, correct?
- When I buy a mixer, how does that work with the MR8? do I connect track one on the mixer to track one of the MR8? Then when I record the tracks I can mix it with the mixer? Why can't you just use the mixer on the MR8? And when you have everything how you want it on the external mixer, how do those settings get uploaded to your computer? Because they're connected, do the mixed settings get uploaded as .wav files too?

I really hate asking these questions but I have NO experience with this thing and the only recording I've done is with the unit itself - I dont even have any software online to help with effects. Is there any GOOD free-software one can download that actually has decent effects or do you suggest buying something and installing it?

Thanks

I have owned my MR8 for a few years now; and I've only used it really to record ideas I've had. I've messed around recording a few cover songs just for complete fun but I've never really done anything with mixing/editing and I would like to start.

I noticed when I uploaded the .wav files they were pretty weak. I've done some research and people have said a preamp will help boost power.

I've also read that a little mixer will be effective when using the MR8.

My questions are of complete ignorance; and I shamefully have no idea where to begin.
- I understand what an amplifier does but how do I use a preamp with the MR8? Where does it connect and basically it just supplies the MR8 with more power, correct?
- When I buy a mixer, how does that work with the MR8? do I connect track one on the mixer to track one of the MR8? Then when I record the tracks I can mix it with the mixer? Why can't you just use the mixer on the MR8? And when you have everything how you want it on the external mixer, how do those settings get uploaded to your computer? Because they're connected, do the mixed settings get uploaded as .wav files too?

I really hate asking these questions but I have NO experience with this thing and the only recording I've done is with the unit itself - I dont even have any software online to help with effects. Is there any GOOD free-software one can download that actually has decent effects or do you suggest buying something and installing it?

Thanks

Here is an old pic from a few years ago. It's pretty much the same except I omit the effects box and use software effects. :)

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 46
Hey there bsr 2002, I was just wondering what is the name of that mixer board you have in your pic on the far left???? And whats the price range on it??? Does it have rca cable in's or outs on it??? Usb? Please let me know....

Back