You can tell when to change those gut strings by the smell...

a modified dog

If I may be so bold, I would solicit tips, comments et.al. as to recording a classical guitar (played fingerstyle, for the most part)...

I'm using Cakewalk Home Studio, Sound Forge 5, a cheap mic, and a 550 Mhz AMD system.

Mostly I'm interested in how to make the guitar sound better by mixing, using EQ and effects.

TIA for your input
Denis

I´ve used this

If you are using your PC to track an acoustic or classical guitar you can try this...
1) Record it as "flat" as possible
2) Use some Stereo Imager to expand it a little
3) Tweak a bit EQ to make it sound as you wish
4) I don´t know if it´s wrong, but I never compress them, cause I like to get all the finesse I can.
5) Make sure when you mix not to put it very prominently except you want it that way.
6) If you want a "rythm" sound try using a pick when you play. Otherwise, use your fingers.

I think I´m not telling you something you don´t know. Just sharing my method.

PC

PC

Thanks for your input. Let me know when your site is "non en construcion" (I speak Spanish beautifully, no?). I'd like to hear your mp3s.

Denis;) :)

MD, if you want your guitar to sound better, invest in a decent condensor mic. No amount of eq will fix a poorly recorded sound, and I don't believe applying "effects" to a nylon acoustic is advisable unless you are looking for something unnatural.

Harvey Gerst, one of our resident pros, recommends the Marshall Electronics MXL 603 as a quality inexpensive small condensor mic. 8th Street sell them for $80.

http://www.8thstreet.com/Product.asp?ProductCode=7910&Category=Microphones

A good microphone is the single best thing you can do for you sound.

Back