You are a Putz and I cannot lie

Tucci

So our trombone player wrote this rap...it's hilarious and it is a HUGE crowd pleaser. It is the only rap-song we do. He took the bass lines from a bunch of well-know rap/hip-hop songs (the fresh prince, big butts, slim shady etc.) and made a medley out of them, but all the words are his own parodies on the original. He does a great job performing them and often has the audience in stitches. Our bassist and drummer also do a nice job on it.

Anyway, we want to record it because we could sell a million copies of it tomorrow...but we're afraid of copyright infringement.

How would we go about getting a license to record this rap/parody/medley?

Is it possible?

Thanks,

Tucci

My understanding is you dont need permission if it's a parody but that doesnt mean they wont still try and sue you. Weird Al usually gets permission but he didnt for Gangsta's Paradise. I cant remember if they sued him or not. It was on VH1 a while back. Hopefully somebody who's knowledge didnt come from a stoned viewing of "Behind the Music" can give you a better answer.

Just change the basslines... Don't know how heavily you depend on the music being the same. With this kinda music it's kindof easy to put different music on the same lyrics...

If you have a parody, you can usually get by with a "fair-use" argument. I found this site of a lawyer who talks about it...

http://www.publaw.com/parody.html

He gives good examples of what was ruled on in the past. From what I read on the site and what you said on the post, I'd say you'd be alright. I'd read through this and contact him or an actual lawyer to be sure however.

Also, like texasroadkill said, just because you can do a parody doesn't mean they'll try to sue you, which is a headache in iteself.

If I remember right Weird Al got by with his rendition of Gangsta's Paradise (I don't know if they went to court or not), but Snoop Dogg made some kind of threat that if he'd ever see him in the West Coast, he'd shoot him. This is just what I heard, don't know for sure.

-Sal

Hey Tucci,

2 things

(1) try to get the license my contacting the Arists publishers- if you are unable to then - (2) e-mail me graham2@cox.net and I will get the license to use the music

Thanks much

Thank you for the info fellas...

I thought about that Roel - just changing the basslines; but the reason that this "rap" is so successful is that the audience recognizes the basslines and rhythm and sees the parody immediately.

gec: thanks very much for the offer. I might take you up on that - do you have special connections or something?

I will check out that lawyer's website too.

Tucci

Back