Yorkville YSM-1 + Yorkville SR-300?

OldGrover

OK, I've got to get some monitors. I just blew some money on a Mackie 1604 (not VLZ Pro, unfortunately - I bought this one used, but couldn't afford the VLZ Pro, even used)

So I've been reading through the discussions on here, and liked the sound of the Yorkville YSM-1's. Of course, those aren't amped, but Yorkville recommends their SR-300 amp to go with it. My local music store is having a special on Yorkville in a week - one day only since the Yorkville sales reps are going to be coming through demoing everything. Their current prices are $279 CA ($183 US) for a pair of the monitors and $439 CA ($288 US) for the SR-300 and, as an added bonus, I'll get to hear them as well as a number of other amp/monitor combos. I dunno what the discount will be, but, assuming I get my line of credit approved in time, should I pick 'em up? Will I be sorry I didn't go with bi-amped active monitors?

Is there any reason I couldn't use the SR-300 in a live gig (with other speakers, obviously)? I'm thinking smallish gigs, obviously - I wouldn't be amping the drums, guitar or bass. In that case, the versatility would be an advantage over the active monitors. I'm doing mostly jazz, nothing heavy and thrashy but I'd like some monitors I can grow into if necessary.

Yargh. Confused - even more after reading all the old threads on monitors.

I guess I'm looking to see if anyone is going to say, "No, you moron, don't do that!"

Help?

Back