Yet another thread on level metering

Dogman said:
Hey, that worked awesome Zed...Look at what I have. Sounds awesome don't it.... :p

I shit you not, I uploaded a My Chemical Romance song into pro tools(yes off the actual cd, no downloads)as a reference for a band that was coming in and it looked just like that.

Dogman said:
The funny thing is, it didn't sound near as bad as it looks....and it's loud allright.... :D
It could be zoomed pretty far in when you took the screen shot.
What was the RMS?

Eck

Dogman said:
Hey, that worked awesome Zed...Look at what I have. Sounds awesome don't it.... :p

Congrats! It's a "light bulb" recording: the track starts, all the meter lights come on and they stay on continuously for the entire length of the track. You have achieved a modern, state of the art recording and are to be envied.

Cheers,

Otto

I have also been looking for a good meter. Most of the "oversampled" meters I have seen on the market are pretty expensive (like $600-$1000). This is true that there can be overs between samples during D/A conversion but it can also happen with brickwall limiting. if you brickwall your music, if a peak is flat-topped, it can be reconstructed over 0dbFS. I suspect this is why some software will limit to -.1 db, but whether or not the over is audible will depend on the player and its available headroom. I also suspect that the analog side of most players are not designed to go very far over 0dbFS, and if they go over at all are probably in the "nonlinear" range anyway. Also often software will not show you what is going on behind your plugins and if you are exceeding available headroom there. it is quite possible that if you for instance have brickwalled a track and then apply eq cuts that the resulting track will go over. I know that the example given of a square wave does not seem like it matters in the "real world" but once you start limiting and/or exceeding headroom it very quickly becomes a reality, because that square wave is what you have.

by the way, there is a perfectly logical explanation for why a square wave will increase in amplitude when eq cuts are applied. as you begin to remove frequencies, it begins to resemble a sine wave.

ofajen said:
Congrats! It's a "light bulb" recording: the track starts, all the meter lights come on and they stay on continuously for the entire length of the track. You have achieved a modern, state of the art recording and are to be envied.

Cheers,

Otto

rep for "light bulb" recording. :D

Back