Yet another Newbie question!

guitarlover

Sorry,

I really did look for an answer.

Simple question, I think. What exactly, is a "direct" box. I've heard the term used in conjunction with pre-amps. What's the difference?

Regrds, Steve

It's basicly a device the matchs impedence and level of an instrument (guitar, bass, keyboard) to line level to get into a recorder or PA.

Track Rat said:
It's basicly a device the matchs impedence and level of an instrument (guitar, bass, keyboard) to line level to get into a recorder or PA.

All my DI's have an output at mic level.

guitarlover said:
Sorry,

I really did look for an answer.

Simple question, I think. What exactly, is a "direct" box. I've heard the term used in conjunction with pre-amps. What's the difference?

Regrds, Steve
Originally posted by Track Rat

Originally posted by Han
All my DI's have an output at mic level.

---------------------------------------------------------

The DI box is as Track Rat stated, except that it terminates the source (i.e. guitar, bass, keyboards) to a mic level, as Han pointed out... oh, and a "mic preamp" brings a mic level up to a useable level... in other words, a preamp amplifies the signal (a booster).
guitarlover said:
Thanks. That explains why I keep reading that such and such can also be used as a direct box.

Regards, Steve
Yes, some units are both a DI box and preamp... and more.

EDIT: Spelling correction. :D

Last edited:
good thread, thanks. would anyone care to take the opportunity to enlighten me properly on the various virtues of active vs. passive DIs? is one better suited to some situations than others?

Back