Yet Another Mic'ing Question

substance

So I'm recording in a room that has carpet floors and a low wood ceiling. Should I put up blankets on the ceiling or will that deaden the sound? Will the drums be O.K on carpet or should I buy a sheet of wood or something to put them on?

tnx again

substance said:
So I'm recording in a room that has carpet floors and a low wood ceiling. Should I put up blankets on the ceiling or will that deaden the sound? Will the drums be O.K on carpet or should I buy a sheet of wood or something to put them on?

tnx again
Seeing many have read your question but didn't answer, I'll answer it for you. Yes blankets on the celing will help deaden the room... and sometimes drums sound good in a dead room and other times they don't... it all depends on the sound you want for the song. It's nice to have the option.

If I was you, I would only treat a room if it is necessary. It sounds like the room is not perfect, but few rooms really are. Obviously, you could deaden the room by hanging something like carpet, but I would only recommend that if you heard somethng about the room that you didn't like and thought that treatment would help.

Sound treatment can get expensive and if it's not purposeful, you could be doing more harm than good. Have you ever tried recording in the room? If so, what did it sound like? If not, try it.

Good luck!

substance said:

tnx again
Does it have bookshelves in there? Henceforth they shall be Dedicated Diffusion Assemblies. How about any overstuffed closets? Open the door(s), they are now Wideband Absorbers.

Store bought treatments are expensive, but fiberglass, cloth and plywood arn't bad.

Back