Yet another bass recording question

Rolland

Has anyone tried recording a bass with 2 direct outputs - line out and speaker out? So instead of recording bass with line out + mic, which I think is the best way but can't afford to mic up in my small room, is this a good substitute for sound? I plan to run the line out straight into the left channel of the SBlive soundcard line in and the speaker out into a DI box and then into the right channel of the line in.

That does sound interesting. I never tried that before in recording sessions as usually
the bass was recorded dead center as to allow for bottom in the final mixdown. But 1
question arises as to this procedure, your right signal might have a stronger presence in the recording than the left. Is this the effect you are trying to produce?

Maybe keep a fire extinguisher nearby when your DI blows up...unless you are using a device built to take a powered signal such as a Hughes & Kettner Red Box or something like it.

I have been thinking about it. Since I'm using Cakewalk, it's possible to record 2 reverse stereo tracks for the bass at the same time, for a total for 4 tracks for bass. So for one stereo track, speaker out goes to right and line out goes left, and vice versa for the other stereo track. That will make everything go to the center now. Only thing is that I have to lower the volume as there's 'double bass' tracks. What do you think of it?
Tapehead - Do you think the DOD AC275 DI box will be okay for this function? I am considering buying one of these if this idea of recording the bass works.

Please listen to Tapehead! A speaker out will blow the crap out of your DI box that was designed to handle about 5 volts and less than 1 watt. You need something that will step down like 100 watts @8 ohms to a line level signal (Red Box Pro).
Actually the Red Box idea sounds pretty cool for bass. I will have to try that. IMHO I think mixing all those bass inputs will sound very unaturally but it depends on what you're after.

Back