Yamaha YPT-240

Thines

I am using Cubase LE-6 that came with the Scarlett Studio interface/microphone setup. I am new to everything. I am trying to use the Haleon VST Synth for a track and want to use my Yamaha YPT-240 keyboard (I'm going to eventually buy a nice midi keyboard). the keyboard is connected to the computer with a USB cable. I downloaded the driver from the Yamaha website, but I'm not sure if I have it set up right.

I can see the VST synth, but I don't know how to switch the controls so that I can play my Yamaha with the VST synth sound. Anyone that can help me?

Thanks,

Todd

First, the Yamaha hooked up the way you've described it is simply a midi controller. If you don't have the audio outputs connected anywhere you're not going to hear the Yamaha sounds.

I downloaded the docs for Cubase LE-6 and was going to recommend you start with something simpler but it seems from the docs that Halion is your only choice VST intrument-wise.

Keep in mind that midi makes no sound on it's own. It's a control language that tells, for example, Halion what note to play, how loud to play it and how long the note is held. There are 16 midi channels, but if we can get one channel working on your system the rest will fall into line.

If you downloaded the driver from the Yamaha web site, it's probably the right one. Now all you need is to is set up the track and activate your keyboard to control it. The 'Quick Start' manual has a section on midi recording that you should read. If you need to you can download the documentation from the Steinberg website --- Cubase LE 6 : Cubase LE 6 Updates and Downloads | http://www.steinberg.net/

Thanks for the help. I want to use my keyboard as a midi controller for the VST instruments so I don't have to spend the additional money. I think I''m going to try the Yamaha UX-16 USB-MIDI Interface. It looks like it might solve my problem. What do you think?

I'm hoping Cubase will automatically read it. So how do I set up my input/output to use the Halion Synth? I have a few drum tracks and bass tracks recorded, but I haven't been able to figure out the keyboard setup yet.

Back