Yamaha XTREM electronic drums

Atomic

Hi all,

Do any of you ever tried the new yamaha "XTREM" electronic drum kit? Or have you heard of it?

I wanted to know if the more expensive Roland V drums was really that better than the yamaha. i heard that the roland was better for recording. My drummer tried both of them and told me that the sounds on the Roland were more realistic.

any of you guys has an advice for me?

tnks

Yamaha E Drums

I have played on botht the high end Rolands, and the Yamaha models. I too feel that the rolands drum sounds are quite realistic, and there are many more ways that you can shape the tones, and sound of each drums sound. The Yamaha is also good, but the Rolands are a little better IMHO. Depending on the style of music you play either could work. If volume isn't a problem then you should buy an acoustic set and trigger the drums, while micing the cymbals. That is really where all modules fall short...the cymbals. Hope this helps.

I own a set of the Roland V-Drums and I work in a drum shop that sells both Roland and Yamaha e-drums, which has given me a fair amount of time to play with both kits (not just play them - but actually travel around the sound parameters). I've also used Pintech, Hart, etc. in various studios - so I'd like to think I have a little more experiance with e-drums than most drummers (I've actuallly played e-drums since the original Simmons came out - which was pre-MIDI)

I really think the Roland set is better. The sound tweaking is easier to master. The front panel controls and the the pamameters within the various view screens are easier to understand. The mesh heads on the Rolands are almost too responsive (the Yamaha have actual drum heads), however. I absolutely do not like the pads on the DTExtreme. The stick impact is way too loud.

If you were recording live cymbals (which most people prefer with e-drums) you would pick up way too much head noise thru the cymbal mics.

I bought my V-drums before the DTExtreme came - but if I had to decide again I would choose the V-Drums over the Extreme.

Hey Mikeh,

What do you think of the Harts?
I don't have any in my area that I have seen besides an old beat up used set, and that is really not too bad for the $$.
BTW, Roland V-Session is great, I love mine.

Pete

battleminnow - I think the Hart drum pads respond well and are a good value. I'm less happy with their cymbal triggers - but as a general rule most of the e-drum applications I've been involved with use real cymbals - so the Hart cymbals are not a big issue to me. The Hart kits I've used triggered various Alesis mudules (D4, DM5 & DM Pro) and since I'm a fan of Alesis drum modules I was always satisfied with the sounds.

I've also used Hart triggers to trigger e-sounds off accoustic drums with decent results. A trigger can never pick up every subtle nuance of accoustic drum technique - in particular ghost notes on snare, etc.) but triggering sounds off the toms and kick worked well with the Hart triggers - and again the pricing is very reasonable. I've also used a Hart "Multipad" for adding percussion sounds to a live kit - and was very satisfied.

I'll still a big fan of Roland V-Drums and am very satisfied with mine (although the rack design sucks big time). I've heard good things about D-Drums but I have not had a change to really work with them.

Back