Yamaha P90 or Roland RD170

RKB

I've already got a decent keyboard controller and sound modules, I'm not looking to shell out several thousands of dollars for a new multi-function piece of equipment.

I do, however, desparately need a decent piano sample on a keyboard with weighted keys. Right now, I'm looking at both the Yamaha P-90 and the Roland RD-170. Both have about the same price point. I'm leaning more toward the Roland, since most of the equipment in my home studio is Roland.

Has anyone heard these or have a clear preference for one based on some other criteria I haven't thought of yet?

Thanks in advance.

Hey RKB, I think I could have posted your last message!

I currently have a Roland A90 keyboard, gorgeous piano sound, but an absolute beast to carry around... plus I can't find a case or a bag big enough to put it in. I get very jealous when I see players turning up for gigs with these new slimline lightweight keyboards with just an on-off switch, volume control and piano 1 and 2 buttons !

I've also just bought a Roland XV sound module as well, amazing Strings and Organs, but very weak piano sounds.

So an easily portable, full size, hammer action piano which focuses all of its energy producing a couple of high quality piano sounds would be ideal. I could always wire it up to my module for the other sounds if and when required.

The price range you mentioned is similar to what I'm interested in. I've just walked out of my local piano shop after playing a few. The weighted action definitely varies alot, some would be far too heavy for me to play, others far too light, so I guess it's very important you get your paws on one first. I would also need to go back and listen to them all at a decent volume to compare the quality of the piano sounds, 'customer friendly' volume just isn't good enough! I would also ask if I could pick them up to test for portability.

All these factors are very personal to you, so hopefully you have a good shop near buy. I wouldn't recommend choosing one just from reviews and fact sheets on the web!

What other factors are there... Midi capabilities to control sound modules should be a given. If you're interested in buying an expensive flight case then maybe a 'standard' size keyboard would ensure obtaining the best deal.

Can't think of anything else... :rolleyes:

Of course I don't need a new keyboard! Already got one of the best, but it would be nice :cool:

If you're looking for a basic unit with excellent piano samples, I'd say go Yamaha P90. Nice three-layer stereo samples and it's really playable. Graded-hammer action. I personally own and S80, but have played the P90 on a couple different occasions - recommended one to a friend too.

I'd stop in a local Yamaha key shop and play with one for a bit.

I've spent some time playing both the P90 and an the RD170 (I don't own either). I liked the feel on the P90 better and I think I like the piano tone of the Yamaha better also (I didn't spent much time with the other tones on either keyboard). I own a lot of Roland gear and have owned some Yamaha gear also - I'm not partial to either company - I just like the P90 better than the RD170.

I'm on the other side of the fence, I guess. I have a P120 that I'm very happy with as a "piano", in terms of both it's hammer action and its playable piano sound.

I don't know anything about the Roland, but I think the P90 is essentially a P120 without the internal speakers. If this is true, then I highly recommend it.

(But do I win a prize for being the 1 millionth person to offer that sound/action is subjective?) ;)

I've been searching for a little assignable, touch-response controller to compliment the P120 for playing emulations of strings, reeds, etc. (non "hammer" like voices,) and today ordered an Evolution MK461c. Hope it's as good as advertized.

Michael

Hi RKB,

I would suggest the Yamaha P90. There are some major differences between the two, though. They are:

1. Roland has Steinway Acoustic Grands and Uprights
2. Yamaha has Yamaha Acoustic Grands and Uprights

The Roland RD170 is great, but not as awesome as the P90's Acoustic Pianos and Graded Hammer Action.

Also, someone mentioned that the P90 and P120 have the exact same Acoustic Pianos. Actually they don't. I own the Yamaha P120 (An absolutely superb Stage Piano) and I have played the P90 extensively. They are simply not the same.

But for you, I recommend the Yamaha P90 over the Roland RD170.

Regards,
P120Dude ;)

After having previously said don't be swayed by reviews, I've had lots of time on my hands recently to be swayed by reviews :rolleyes:

I couldn't help noticing the bag full of comments on this site referring to the "ringing" effect of the P90...

http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Yamaha/P90-01.html

and the reviews on the same site for the P120 had no such comments...

http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Yamaha/P120-01.html

Also it appears people much prefer the feel of the Yamaha compared to that of the Roland, so much so it almost seems like a matter of fact that Yamaha build better boards to play.

(omg, I've started using the word 'board' now)

Cazzbar said:
After having previously said don't be swayed by reviews, I've had lots of time on my hands recently to be swayed by reviews :rolleyes:

I couldn't help noticing the bag full of comments on this site referring to the "ringing" effect of the P90...

http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Yamaha/P90-01.html

and the reviews on the same site for the P120 had no such comments...

http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Yamaha/P120-01.html

Also it appears people much prefer the feel of the Yamaha compared to that of the Roland, so much so it almost seems like a matter of fact that Yamaha build better boards to play.

(omg, I've started using the word 'board' now)

Yes, the P90 has a certain "ringing" problem. I noticed that on the P90 when I tryed it out. The ringing is different volumes in certain spots. The P120 does not have the "ringing" problem.

The Yamaha P250 has an obnoxious ring, too, and it has pretty harsh Acoustic Pianos. I personally can't stand the P250, due to it's harshness. I do not reccomend the Yamaha P250.

But for your budget, the P90 is an excellent choice, and you will love it.

P120Dude

Last edited:
Bought the P90

Thanks everyone for your great input. I went ahead and bought the P90 and hooked it up last night. The feel is fantastic, and I'm very happy with the piano sounds (compared to the samples I've used in the past, it's like night and day) Now I have to rearrange my studio set up because I've based it on smaller keyboards. With a full 88-key board (there's that word again), it's a little cramped now.

Also worth noting, the P90 does not have a midi-thru port. I now have to buy a 4-in/4-out/thru box in order to allow me to use the keyboard controller I have in addition to the P90 with my sequencing software. Not a big deal, though.

All in all, from what I've been able to do with it, it's a sweet little axe for the price! ($999 from Sweetwater)

Hey, I just bought a P90 also. I really like it, I just wish the reverb effects could be turned off PERMANENTLY.

Back