Yamaha p-90 with external sequencer

canadianrocker

I've connected an external sequencer to play back the internal voices of the P-90. I have everything connected properly, and starting the sequencer plays back the sound on the P-90, but it will only play the Factory Setting Grand Piano 1 voice. Changing the voice on the Voice Buttons doesn't change the playback voice, or changing the reverb or effect doesn't change anything - only the Transpose changes - nor does changing any of the Midi settings in the function on the P-90 or on the sending sequencer.

Is there any way to play different voices on the P-90 from an external sequencer? Or do you have to select a voice, record that voice to the sequencer, and the sequencer will only play back whatever voice it was recorded with? Page 29 of the manual shows how to change a voice setting for the internal recorder, would this work for an external sequencer as well? Is there any way to assign the internal voices to a specific Midi channel? ex. Grand Piano 1 on Midi channel 1, Voice on Midi channel 8, etc.

I tried 2 configs
1) Roland XP-30 with program change bank send ON - just using the keyboard to play voices in the P-90 - same thing, only would play the default Grand Piano
2) Ensonic SQ-1 + using both the keyboard and the onboard sequencer - I tried changing all the Midi settings on the sending unit and receiving unit, still only played the dault on the P-90.

The p-90 manual also states how to play the demo midi songs (the 50 songs) but not how to change the voice for playback - similar problem? (or something that's possible but the manual doesn't state it?)

Is your host select set to midi?

Look here also (p57)

Program change will need to be on under the function mode (F.8.4)

yes, host select was set to Midi.
I tested the setup this weekend, found the following out:

The Ensonic doesn't recognize the F8.7 Panel/Status Transmit function. When playing back from the Ensonic sequencer to the P-90, I have to manually change the Program Change number to change the voice played back on the P-90. And not every voice has a PC number.

Trying to change the voices on the P-90 from the Roland XP-30 keyboard doesn't work at all - the two units don't recognize the Program change numbers.

The P-90, I couldn't find a way to assign voices to a separate Midi channel either.

Using a computer based sequencer, everything works fine - it recognizes all the Panel changes when recording, including layering and split.

Just a limitation of either the P-90 or the Ensonic or Roland compatability. Although I've had problems in the past with the Korg onboard sequencer (in the Trinity) recognizing the Program changes as well from standard Midi files.

try sniffing the midi port for each device and see exactly what its transmitting, that should paint a clearer picture

Back