Yamaha n12 vs. Mackie 1620 mixer. What about aux sends?

tuco

I'm on the fence about upgrading to a Mackie Onyx 1220 to a 1620, or buying the Yamaha n12 instead. The 1620 would be a deal since I already have a Mackie 1220 with Firewire--just have to unload the old mixer on Ebay and swap the Firewire card into the new 1620.

But from what I'm reading, the pres in the n12 may be superior to the Mackie's. I also like the software integration, built-in reverb, comp, and the idea of mixing down OTB on the n12. The Mackie only sends two channels back to the mixer, so everything must be mixed ITB. Also, the Mackie recording outs are Pre-Insert, Pre-EQ, Pre-Mute, Pre-Fader--that is, dry only.

But what about aux sends? Don't you need extra aux sends to supply different monitor mixes--say to the drummer, singer, guitarist? The Mackie 1620 has four aux sends (which may be adequate). But it also has analog outs for each channel, meaning you could even set up a separate physical monitor mixer if needed. But even on the Mackie, you can't solo the aux channels .

The n12 has what, ONE aux send and no analog channel outs?

Am I missing something here? Is there any way to create more than one monitor mix on the n12 (even if more hardware is required)?

You have control room outs and aux headphone out for monitoring. So the "talent" can have a different monitor mix than what you have.

Preamps are always going to be subjective. There is an enormously large thread over at gearslutz and there are guys who really like the n12. There are some pros (as defined by guys doing major label recordings) over there who really like the n12.

I'm using an n12 and the sound quality is fabulous. My 1010 D/A sounds like a wall of mud compared to the n12.

The drivers are also ROCK solid and integration with Cubase is real nice.

You have control room outs and aux headphone out for monitoring. So the "talent" can have a different monitor mix than what you have.
QUOTE]

Thanks . . . can you tell me a little more about this? With a properly configured n12, how many different mixes can be had? One for me and then one other, or are more somehow possible?

Yes, I read most of that HUGE thread at Slutz; a lot of folks do seem to like the n12, definitely on my shortlist of mixers.

QUOTE]

Thanks . . . can you tell me a little more about this? With a properly configured n12, how many different mixes can be had? One for me and then one other, or are more somehow possible?

Yes, I read most of that HUGE thread at Slutz; a lot of folks do seem to like the n12, definitely on my shortlist of mixers.

I'll have to give that some more thought. If you haven't got the manual download it and check out page twenty one, might have some ideas there. There is a lot flexible routing with the n12. I haven't tried setting up a multiple monitor mix yet. Also check out pages 24-26 in the manual.

I just noticed gearslutz is back up and there are some guys there who have done more extensive tracking and monitoring that I have.

There have also been some people (including myself) who have posted some tunes done on the n12 in that gearslutz thread.

Hey thanks! I'll dig into the manual more and post this question over there as well. What's your avatar (user name) on Slutz? Will check out your recordings.

The n12 seems hard to beat at its price point. I know I could get all the routing and monitoring options I want with a Midas Venice 160 and a solid outboard converter, but that solution would be at least 3x the price of the Yamaha or Mackie. Will have to wait . . .

Hey thanks! I'll dig into the manual more and post this question over there as well. What's your avatar (user name) on Slutz? Will check out your recordings.

soundrage...I don't even remember what I posted over there now/:eek:

Look up Geosync...Yamaha product develop manager and VERY helpful.

Oh yeah, I remember the soundrage.

Right, Geosync is fantastic--all companies should be that involved. Just the way it goes: some are lame and others are on top of their game.

Back