Yamaha MG 16/4 - direct out?

Zorlee

Hi!
I'm very new to home recording. I'm looking for an affordable mixer, and the Yamaha MG 16/4 looked very nice!
I have a 8 i/o soundcard (Inca88) and I need a mixer with direct out (or at least that's what I think I need).
Can I use this mixer and for example use it like this:

Drum mics - mixer - Inca88 - Pc

Or is this not possible with this mixer?
If it is impossible (or that you don't get good quality), recommend me other affordable mixers (I'm on a TIGHT budget, hehe) :)

Zorlee...

That mixer does not have dedicated direct outs but does have a group track and you can use the insert for output trick

You can use the channel insert jack to get a signal directly from that channel's preamp to your Inca. If you download the manual, you can look over the mixer's block diagram.

apl said:
You can use the channel insert jack to get a signal directly from that channel's preamp to your Inca. If you download the manual, you can look over the mixer's block diagram.

So they will work as outputs, and it will not decrease the quality? Sorry I'm such a beginner, hehe :)

So.. If I were to record both bass and drums together - would it work the same way? Or?

Zorlee said:
So they will work as outputs, and it will not decrease the quality? Sorry I'm such a beginner, hehe :)

So.. If I were to record both bass and drums together - would it work the same way? Or?

Your quality will be fine. You can probably plug your bass straight into the inca and get good results.

Awesome!
The thing is... A friend of mine has a cheap Behringer mixer. It's a little noicy, buzzing when the volume is high. Do you have any experiences with the Yamaha MG mixer? I personally love Yamaha's quality, but I've never bought studio equipment or anything like it from Yamaha!

Zorlee said:
Awesome!
The thing is... A friend of mine has a cheap Behringer mixer. It's a little noicy, buzzing when the volume is high. Do you have any experiences with the Yamaha MG mixer? I personally love Yamaha's quality, but I've never bought studio equipment or anything like it from Yamaha!

I've got a Yamaha MG10/2, and I think it sounds very good. I'd expect the 16/4 to be the same.

Do you already have the inca? You probably won't need that many channels very often.

Yes, I do have the Inca. Got it real cheap from a friend of mine...
The problem is that I don't have ANY experience with home recording, so therefore I need much information about getting started.
I posted this in another thread, but will this be a good start for my home studio:

- Yamaha MG 16/4
- Inca88
- Audix Fusion Drum mics
- Computer
- Cables, stands etc.

Will I get good quality with this (or at least be able to get good quality when I know how to use Cubase :p )

If you want good quality, a good room is number one. Look into some bass traps to start. Plenty of threads around here.

You'll be fine with that mixer and the advice on using the inserts as makeshift direct outs is correct. Do a couple of searches on 'tapping inserts' and 'inserts as direct outs' and you'll find loads of people doing the same thing, with full instructions on how to do it. :)

I have a 10/2 sat here on my desk and it's fine. I still think they're better than the Behringer ones, which are less consistent in quality IMHO. I have still happily used the Behringers though!

I think you should have a nice little setup there and that your next thoughts should be towards getting a decent pair of monitors so you can hear what you're doing.

For free plug-ins for Cubase, Google Kjaerhaus and get their free 'Classic Series' plugs, and then Google Digital Fishphones and get the fillets plugs ... good dynamics. There are a million other freebies two but they're well-known and good-sounding ones to get you started! :)

HTH,

Nik

Zorlee said:
Yes, I do have the Inca. Got it real cheap from a friend of mine...
The problem is that I don't have ANY experience with home recording, so therefore I need much information about getting started.
I posted this in another thread, but will this be a good start for my home studio:

- Yamaha MG 16/4
- Inca88
- Audix Fusion Drum mics
- Computer
- Cables, stands etc.

Will I get good quality with this (or at least be able to get good quality when I know how to use Cubase :p )

A lot of good drum recordings are made with a pair of overhead mics.

Back