Yamaha MD4/MD8 question..

Grenouille

Do those two recorders have the same drive?!
I mean, the MD4 basically is the same just as the MD8, but with less mixer channels.
I would think that the thing that defines it as a 4 track is not the drive but rather the controller, ROM parts, etc.

I`m asking because I need a replacement drive for my MD8, and since MD4s go much cheaper than MD8s, I would then consider buying an MD4 to get it.
(following the idea that a new replacement drive from the company would cost more than a used MD8 on ebay.)

What do you think?

There were 2 versions of the MD4,...

the ...4 and the MD4s. You'll have to determine which one is most like the MD8, with the opening lid on the mechanism. The other one just had a slot.

The MD4's mechanism that matches the MD8's mechanism is indeed the "same" mechanism. ;) All the differences lie in the control logic portion, not the mechanism.

:D Suggestion:

Buy a digital 8 tracker and get better quality. I have an MD8 in the locker room; it was replaced/unplugged by my 2816--will never go back.

The MD8 is a very good machine--makes nice recordings and is easy to use. However, it does not have the CD sound qualities of digital SIABs.

You can look at Yam, Korg, Roland, whatever.

But the Yam AG16 seems to be a very popular SIAB and at a very good price considering the quality of sound.

Maybe there are a few others....look and price and get a SIAB that is up to date.

Green Hornet :D

Back