Yamaha KX88 as just a piano… help!!

Pattinocake

I recently acquired a Yamaha. I plan to do recording down the road but for now I just want to use it as a digital piano. It came with nothing. What do I need to purchase to get it up and running. Can someone help me?

More details… it’s a Yamaha KX88. I’m looking for a classic piano sound. What midi device is best for this application? Where can I buy it? How do I connect it?

Wow! You could probably just get some sort of sound module for voicing and leave it at that, but my suggestion is to bring it up to date with a decently equipped computer as your recording device (DAW), which will also host any sound producing software (VST). Then you will need to buy an audio interface to which you connect the MIDI IN/OUT of your KX88, and the KX88 connects to your computer via USB.

Are you familiar with these devices?

It's been years since I've played with hardware synths, so I can't get too involved here on that level. However, there are lots of others here who can chime in with words of wisdom.

If you buy any of the cut down versions, or the free DAW software, they usually have pretty decent pianos - and a superb one is under $100 - Pianoteq via Google.

Back