Yamaha Keybaord Problem

Cal D

I am using an older model Yamaha. It's the PSR-47. My main purpose for using it is to have it send midi triggers to my sound card.

I have it hooked up okay in that the notes I play on the keyboard are triggering my sound card's midi sounds. The problem is, i can't get adequate volume. What i mean is that I have the volume level on full on the keybaord, i have the record midi synth slider up ull on my software sound mixer, and yet, when the signal makes it to my multi-track recorder, it is weak and needs amplification through my software.

Any advice?

MIDI isn't audio

The volume control on your keyboard isn't going to have any bearing on the level. If your keys are velocity sensitve, you can increase volume by playing harder, but that's about it.

Depending on your software and hardware, you need to either adjust the settings for your MIDI device volume, or your soundcard's onboard synth isn't capable of going any louder.

You could record the MIDI output to an audio channel and change the levels this way, but I'm not sure that you wouldn't be raising the noise floor some by doing that (even though it's all in the digital realm, if the onboard synth of your soundcard is already pegged, it may produce some unpleasent effects by amplification).

What soundcard are you using?

Carl

Back