Yamaha i88x clipping problem

Decay

My yamaha i88x interface has got a HI-Z input, through which I want to record my guitar and bass. However when I plug my guitar (directly) into the HI-Z input the signal actually clips when I'm playing aggressively. I've got the the input-gain pot as low possible, and I'm playing a Les Paul Studio with stock passive pick ups.

Is it really supposed to be this way? I remember back when I was using my old TAPCO mixer (which also had a HI-Z input) I had to jack up the gain quite a bit in order to get a useable signal when recording direct.

Decay said:
My yamaha i88x interface has got a HI-Z input, through which I want to record my guitar and bass. However when I plug my guitar (directly) into the HI-Z input the signal actually clips when I'm playing aggressively. I've got the the input-gain pot as low possible, and I'm playing a Les Paul Studio with stock passive pick ups.

Is it really supposed to be this way? I remember back when I was using my old TAPCO mixer (which also had a HI-Z input) I had to jack up the gain quite a bit in order to get a useable signal when recording direct.

I've noticed that it is pretty sensitive when recording direct p-bass. Given the levels that I get with the pot cranked down, I wouldn't be surprised that humbuckers give this result.

Back