Yamaha FG-160 action height question.

Trotter

Yamaha FG-160 action height question:

I recently bought a 30 year old Yamaha FG-160. The tone is great on this guitar, but the action still seems a bit high. I've been trying to get the action lower on it, but the lowest I can get it is about +1/8" from the 12th fret to the bottom of E6, and about -1/8" on E1. The saddle is about 1/16" above the bridge. How low should I be able to get the action on a good FG-160?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'll bite...

I'd take it to a good tech or luthier and have him look at it and give it a good setup. I spent $40 on my 30-year old Washburn 12 string for just that, and the change was nothing short of miraculous :)

The neck looks to be in line with the top of the guitar, so I don't think that the neck is really the problem. My guess is that the area behind the bridge is higher than it is supposed to be. I really like the tone of this guitar, and it should do nicely for the tunes I want to record.

I'm still curious as to how low the action will go on a FG-160 in good shape:confused:

I have an old Yamaha FG-335 (circa 1976) and had the same problem.

I took it to my favorite guitar-man and he replaced the plastic bridge piece with a slightly shorter one, and then he cut the grooves down in the nut to bring the strings closer to the neck.

It worked out great. :)

The action was lowered exactly where I wanted it and I've never had a problem at all with fret buzz.

Make sure you take it to someone who knows exactly how to cut the grooves in the nut properly, and you should be fine.

If the problem is that the top of the guitar near the bridge is bowed upward, then you have an entirely different problem. But I believe that problem can also be fixed. Take it to a pro and get an educated opinion. The FG-160 is a sweet sounding guitar which rivals the tone of most dreadnaught Martins.

Do what you can to make her play right and I guarantee you'll never regret it. ;)

Even though the action is a bit high on the guitar, I still like the tone of it a lot. The upper harmonics shimmer quite nicely.

Also, I tried a new Yamaha, but found that between the two guitars the FG-160 seemed to have the better tone (to my ears).

I don’t regret buying it at all. After all, a guitar around 30 years old is going to have a few problems.

These guitars are a great value.

Trotter:)

Fg 160-1

Hi

First post.

I've just tried to find more info on one of my 2 acustic guitars.
A Yamaha FG 160-1 and it's from 1974. The other is a Jasmine which was my very first guitar given to me in 1988.
The Yamaha is in very good condition. Very little wear at all. A family member owned the guitar back in the 70 ties. She sadly died late '79 so the guitar was at my grandmother untill 2003 nearly unused.
When i visited my grandmother a few times I played it a few times and noticed the very full sound it had already by then.
I have tried a Martin d-45 the flagship model and there really is no difference other than it's a Martin. Sound is not better.

How does it sound 30 years later. The same as there were some cassete tapes where it's being played.
A great guitar and I love it very much. No need to change anything. Still original exept strings.

Friedmett said:
A Yamaha FG 160-1 and it's from 1974.

The Yamaha is in very good condition. Very little wear at all.

I have tried a Martin d-45 the flagship model and there really is no difference other than it's a Martin. Sound is not better.

First of all... welcome! :)

Second, I agree 100%

My old Yamaha sounds just like a vintage Martin dreadnaught, note for note, chord for chord.

Don't ever let that old Yamaha go... she's a keeper! :)

i have an older (probably 10 years old) yamaha f 310. it's a cheapie but i be damned if it does'nt have a nice tone. i got it used out of a whole shop of guitars, forgetting about price. i can't find a guitar to match it sound wise. it's been my everyday player for about the last 5 years.

the highs on this guitar also shimmer. everyone i know that has played it really likes the way it sounds. that shimmer reminds me of a tube amp on the edge of overdriving.

every time i see an old yamaha in a shop i check it out. it seems that most of the good ones are'nt given up easily. get yours setup and hold on to it.

sorry I can't help with the high action problem. when i bought my f 310, it had pretty high action. the store owner adjusted the neck and lowered the saddle. then he worked on the frets a bit to get rid of some buzzing due to the lower action. i liked the sound before he did all this but i liked it even more after it was done. even though he did this for free, i would have gladly paid to have it done.

there's a couple of clips on my soundclick page that i used this guitar on, no eq applied. the playing is pretty sloppy but you can get an idea of what the guitar sounds like. the clips were recorded thru an audiobuddy and a mxl 990 straight into my onboard sound card. a little reverb was added.

"#3" and "here she comes again"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=303881

Last edited:
Back