yamaha aw16g or korg d1600?

randemar

i want to purchase one of these units for my adult singer/songwriter son. he plays acoustic and electric guitar and harmonica, and at the moment is in a blues band and a bluegrass band. not being a musician or recording engineer myself, i'm having trouber ascertaining if the price were equal would the korg be a better choice. would it also be a better choice even though it costs $400 more? if anyone is well versed in both units i'd really appreciate a summary of what important differences there are.

Yo Randemar "da" Great:

Nice that you are supporting your son as he persues music.

If you use the search feature on this site, you can access a great amount of information on the AW16, and probably the Korg too.

I own the Yamaha 2816, which is similar to the AW16. I can tell you the Yamaha product will have a good sound; also, it takes some time to learn either product as the manuals are kind of dippy in organization.

I think the Yam product has a hi-Z plug for guitar players, as does the Yam 2816 and 4416.

If you get a Yam product, and probably good for the Korg too, you will need a UPS power supply unit to proctect the hard drive in case you lose power while recording. That's no big deal but it is another expense not well advertised.

So, poke around this site, go to the Dinsdale site for users of the Yam 16.

Green Hornet :D :cool: :D

I think the AW16G is currently one of the best bang for the buck units... however, think about what you need...

The Yamaha has 8 mono channels, and 4 stereo channels (hence 13 faders)
The Korg has 16 mono channels (hence 17 faders).

The Yamaha has better EQ and dynamics PER CHANNEL, whereas with the Korg you'll need to use one of the insert fx for compression.
I myself have the Korg D16 (it's older brother), which is pretty much similar to the AW16G. I hate 3 things about it:
1)it has only 1 aux send, I'd rather had 2.
2)it has no 8(or 16) individual outs, so I could use it as a recorder alone, and connect an external mixer)
3)it has no inserts.

The Fostex VF-160 has 2 inserts I believe, but that unit sucks for the rest. Small screen, sucky EQ (low-band is fixed at 400Hz! :eek: ) and a very compromised fx-section. VERRRRY limited....

Don't forget to look at a (2nd handed) Akai DPS16. Currently the Korg, Akai and Yamaha are the 3 leaders in 16-track Land...

Back