yamaha AES 800 or mid range epi??

the dairy giant

Hi...

Buying my son (I will get usage rights!!) a guitar for his 15th birthday. He would quite like an epi Les Paul (well of course he would like the real thing...). they seem to be available at about 3 price points, (in New Zealand) Around $400, Around $800, around $1200.

I was thinking that perhaps the $800-ish models may be worth buying.

BUT...

There is a 2nd hand Yamaha AES 800 for $800, that particular model is discontinued, but I think new it would have been at least $1200 here, it has diMarzio Q100 pups, and has a quite cool retro look he actually likes (mild shock at that), exactly like this...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&g=guitar&base_pid=500073&index=0

IF anyone has any relevant experience that could sway me, I would be glad to hear it, thanks...

Simon Gregory, Guitar financer. :)

epiphone

i would go for the epiphone ....... but thats just me ...... i have never had any problems w/ my epiphone les paul ..... i love the way it plays... it sounds great... it is one of the few guitars i will never mod. :D

Hmmm interesting. I wonder if you guys have top of the line Epis though?, they are out of the picture for me, so It would be a mid range model

the cheap ones here have a thinner body, bolt on neck, the mid raange ones have the thick Les Paul-type body, set neck and better pickups, tuners etc i think

epiphone

my epiphone is the deluxe model ... red sparkle finish ... mini humbuckers ... set neck .... great action ... the tone is sweet ... those mini's have a lot of mid's they cut through like a switch blade on the bridge pickup ..... the neck pickup is fat, warm, mellow, ..... i bought it used for $220 i think ?? truley one of the best deals i ever hoped for ......... :D :D :D

just to update, if I went for the Epi, it would be a 'Studio' model. have just been told by themusic shop guy that the differences between that and the next up the range, the standard, are prety much just cosmetic.

the dairy giant said:
just to update, if I went for the Epi, it would be a 'Studio' model. have just been told by themusic shop guy that the differences between that and the next up the range, the standard, are prety much just cosmetic.
All the music shop guy will have are the Chinese Epis.

For the same money you can buy a Japanese made one that will be far superior.

Trust me. Look at eBay.

yes.. you are probably right... I have looked at our local version of ebay, lotsa guitars but nothing doing in the higher range Epis (don't really fancy buying off US ebay and shipping a guitar halfway around the globe). So I did what I should have done and tried them out side by side... I'm sorry, but the Yamaha was better than the (one!) Epi in the price range I was looking for. Just one of those things where you play one, sounds fine, you play the other and it seems to come alive. A lot of tone variation with 2 spilt DiMarzio humbuckers and a 5 position switch. Not sure what all the variations are exactly, but lotsa possibilities, pretty hot sounding compared to the Epis pups.... So i just bought it!! Mys on will be happy, but its too much to spend on a birthday present, so some sort of shared custody is called for I think!

Thanks for the help, perhaps the particluar Epi I tried was not a shining example.

the dairy giant said:
yes.. you are probably right... I have looked at our local version of ebay, lotsa guitars but nothing doing in the higher range Epis (don't really fancy buying off US ebay and shipping a guitar halfway around the globe). So I did what I should have done and tried them out side by side... I'm sorry, but the Yamaha was better than the (one!) Epi in the price range I was looking for. Just one of those things where you play one, sounds fine, you play the other and it seems to come alive. A lot of tone variation with 2 spilt DiMarzio humbuckers and a 5 position switch. Not sure what all the variations are exactly, but lotsa possibilities, pretty hot sounding compared to the Epis pups.... So i just bought it!! Mys on will be happy, but its too much to spend on a birthday present, so some sort of shared custody is called for I think!

Thanks for the help, perhaps the particluar Epi I tried was not a shining example.

i'm pretty certain you just bought an awesome instrument.

erwin boutay said:
I have six Yamaha's and they're all great. I also have an Epiphone. I think you made a wise choice!
Yeah, I never could figure out why George Harrison didn't ditch his Epiphone for a Yamaha. :D

yeh, i think i did too, thanks for your input. Wow Erwin, what did you do to get all those red marks by your name??

Now I just have to keep the thing in hiding till my son's birthday in a week!!

Yamaha make some really nice stuff. I am sure the guitar will be loved.

I wish my dad had bought me a guitar as good as the one you bought for your son.

I've recently been in love with yamaha ecoustics, I dunno what it is they have a really distinct feel to them or something. Kinda of an electric guitar feel cept on an acoustic but with all the tonal elements of an ecoustic, catch my drift?

Back