Xv-5050

BajoElSol

I have a little bit of a dilema.

I've got a Yamaha S80 Synth. It really has amazing sounds, but for production purposes (e.g backing tracks for CD's) I find that this synth sounds just too wide and upfront.

So I bought a Roland XV-5050. These sounds don't come across as being as real as the S80, but they seem to be suited best for Studio Recording purposes.

So I have this dilema of using a) real sounding but upfront Yamaha sounds, or b) not so real compact Roland sounds.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Why don't you just record the upfront Yamaha sounds, and work with the mix to get them not so upfront?

What does upfront mean to you anyway? Loud, standing out?

warble said:
Why don't you just record the upfront Yamaha sounds, and work with the mix to get them not so upfront?

What does upfront mean to you anyway? Loud, standing out?

Upfront, in my terms, means they stick out to much "in your face type of sounds". I often hear a piano is basically in the centre in most songs, but the S80 has a huge pan from about 30 to 30. It's just too wide...

Last edited:
BajoElSol said:
Upfront, in my terms, means they stick out to much "in your face type of sounds". I often here a piano is basically in the centre in most songs, but the S80 has a huge pan from about 30 to 30. It's just too wide...

The S80 piano is too wide? The first couple piano patches in the S80 are naturally panned in stereo from bottom end to high end. If it's too wide, and you want it in the center, make the recorded track mono. I guess this just all comes down to preference, but I use an S80 and have been able to get what I'm looking for out of it.

We can't decide what would be best for you to use....if you don't like the S80's upfront sounds, use your Roland.

warble said:
The S80 piano is too wide? The first couple piano patches in the S80 are naturally panned in stereo from bottom end to high end. If it's too wide, and you want it in the center, make the recorded track mono. I guess this just all comes down to preference, but I use an S80 and have been able to get what I'm looking for out of it.

We can't decide what would be best for you to use....if you don't like the S80's upfront sounds, use your Roland.

I think that maybe mixing them will do a great job. If I want an upfront sound, I'll use the S80, and if I want a centered background sound, then I'll use the XV-5050.

I have tried recording the piano in mono, and then a stereo reverb, but some notes don't come out so well...I think I'll go with the XV for piano (for now) :)

Thanks for the advice folks,

Bajo :cool:

Back