xtra hard drive?

stephensolo

i may be purchasing a fostex digital 4track. the sytem requires a seperate hard drive. what does this mean? i need help!

You have to go to a computer store and buy a hard disk drive. The larger the disk (5 gig, 8 Gig) is going to give you longer recording times. I have a 2.5 gig hard disk in my Fostex 8 track. this gives me 60 minutes of 8 track recording time.
Oh yeah...don't be cheap....get the best hard drive you can afford.(Western Digital)
The disk gets a lot of use during recording and editing.

Dom Franco

Dom: That's one slick interface considering the low cost of HDs today. I'm curious. Where does the HD mount and what supplies its electrical power? And in what format are the files stored? Is there any HW or SW CODEC algorithm used by the Fostex or are these files uncompressed? Excuse the horde of questions, but in comparison with such a storage scheme even if Windows compatibility is <not> included the 2.5GB Jaz drive is a bad joke.

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 09-08-1999).]

I don't know much about the computer end of this stuff. (I was born in the days of vacuum tubes). The Fostex DMT8vl that I have is compatable with any IDE disk drive. It just has a ribbon cable (40 pin?) and a 4 pin power cable. The drive mounts under the unit, with 4 screws. I have swapped drives back and fourth, and the coolest thing is that it acts like a roll of tape. You could have dozens of drives and store them just like tape projects. You can get a high quality hard drive for under $200, I've seen some around $169 for a 6.4 gig...that would be about 3 hours of 8 track recording!

All this is uncompressed CD quality! I have often thought that the Fostex units are the best kept secret in the digital market.

One drawback...you can only record 2 tracks at a time. I think the new ones are able to do 4 or 8 tracks at once.

Dom Franco

Back