XP vs. Intel ?? anyone advise?

StratFreak

Looking to upgrade from my crappy 500 cpu.

Whats the story on the XP? Why do they have for instance the new XP 2000 thats really a speed of of about 1.67, its cost is about the same as the the intel 2.0 ghz.

Do you need windows XP to have a XP cpu? (might sound silly to some but i really dont know, i run w98)

Im looking to upgrade, im also a gamer, what are your guys thoughts on the XP?

If you had 200 dollars to spend on a cpu upgrade and you PC record and play on-line MP games, what cpu would you get and why?

Thanks for the help!

You realize that you can't just go throwing a new processor into any old system, right? You're going to need a new motherboard, possibly new memory, a new case maybe, and it's somewhat likely that you will need a new power supply.

No, Athlon XP and Windows XP are in no way related.

Whether you go with Intel or AMD doesn't really matter when it comes right down to it anymore. AMD is faster at lower clockrates (both in games and DSP) and almost always cheaper, therefore many go down the AMD route. Intel is a little slower and more expensive, but at least you can use an Intel chipset instead of VIA or SiS (etc). Either way, your chances of having problems if you DIY are about the same. Decide on a platform then choose your motherboard carefully.

Slackmaster 2000

I don't think that's what he said. He said the P4 2Ghz was about the same price as the Athlon XP 2000, which isn't quite right. Close enough though, the P4 1.9Ghz is a little cheaper than the XP 2000. But as he mentioned, the AMD offers les clock speed to compete, which is simply because it's a more powerful processor.

Slackmaster 2000

Back