XP Service Pack 1 is available for download

I read all the reviews at that Google site with the link to this "Service Pack" and decided I'd better check this out more carefully at the MS website.

My conclusion was that this was simply a collection of all the shit done to XP by their auto update service since I first registered the O/S. In other words, the Service Pack is already in place.

There is a lot of stuff in there to update XP in order to comply with some terms of their ongoing court case.

drstawl said:
My conclusion was that this was simply a collection of all the shit done to XP by their auto update service since I first registered the O/S. In other words, the Service Pack is already in place.

This is true... most of the updates in the service pack are already available.... however, microsoft has done with XP SP1 like they are doing with win 2K SP3... if you don't install the actual service pack, some of the individual future updates will not install.

Just finished installing it this morning. It also does include the Microsoft JVM (Java Virutal Machine) which had been previously pulled from Microsoft's website. JVM was not something you would get through the Windows Update site and at least for me was a necessity based on certain websites I regularly visit.

XP SP1 also comes with native USB 2.0 drivers/support.

Back