XP media edition OK with this hardware?

enuenu

After trawling through countless threads I am considering the following items to build my first DAW. I think I have eliminated all the general incompatibility problems but maybe I have missed something. Getting a hardware/software setup that works seems to be a real minefield. The only thing I am a little worried abvout is whether the the XP Media Centre operating system could cause problems. I know XP works well but not sure about the media centre version;

*Toshiba Qosimo G30/N00 laptop - 2.16GHz T7400 chipset, TI firewire, XP Media Edition OS (I am not paying the price in the link, just linked for specs)
*Reaper sequencing software
*May use Cubase also
*Edirol FA-66 OR Edirol UA25EX interface. Probably go the FA66 as it is Firewire, even though an older model.

Can you see any problems with this setup?

Last edited:
I just found this. Looks like I will have to find another laptop, but I am finding it hard to avoid Vista these days if I want a modern laptop. Installing XP on new laptops built for Vista is also problematic I hear. Do I really have to avoid Vista?

Last edited:
Well in all honesty and to my current knowledge media center is technically the same thing as xp home just with a more "media-centered" focus. If you are looking to downgrade a vista machine your best bet would be to either:

A) Go to the manufactures web site and check driver availability

OR

B) Look for something with Vista Business, they usually come with an XP PRO downgrade disc but you best hurry since xp is no longer on the market. I'm not sure if MFG's are pulling those downgrade discs

Thanks a lot. I have done more research and it seems XP Media Centre can cause problems when using it for audio. You can remove the MC components but I fear unknown side effects on other aspects of the computer's operation. I think I will look for another laptop. Shame, I could have got a good deal.

Great link, thanks. However you can see the performance sacrifice you have to make to get an XP Pro laptop. Most have sub 2Gz processors.

Media Center Edition should be avoided.

Many people had problems with it interfacing with soundcards and big problems with audio programs....

Back