XP Home or Pro? Does it matter?

NewbMediaGuy

Okay first off, I don't plan on doing much networking, so all the networking stuff with Pro will be pretty useless to me.

I just want to know if there is anything in Pro that is beneficial for someone looking to doing sound recording, and maybe some light video editing in the distant future.

NewEgg.com has them both pretty cheap, XP Home is $87, and XP Pro is $136. I just want to know if their are any major differences between the two other than networking. It's only a difference of $50, so if Pro has something I might find useful, I'll go with that, otherwise I don't see why I shouldn't just save myself some money.

i haven't used pro alot so i'm not compeletly sure but im gonna have to go with no. for sound recording i think the standard edition will get you the same results. I could be wrong though.

I think the only differences between XP Home and Pro are the extra networking options found in Pro, and also a few other extra features that most users won't notice. Pro woudn't be any better than Home as far as audio recording goes.

'Home' is great for DAWs
but if you want to use Remote Desktop to control your DAW (with a laptop for instance), you need Pro.

christiaan said:
'Home' is great for DAWs
but if you want to use Remote Desktop to control your DAW (with a laptop for instance), you need Pro.

An awesome feature BTW! :)

I use it for other things as well. It is so cool to be working remotely and be able to access my home computer to do work or check my email. I have run programs like 3D Studio MAX and Photoshop remotely over the internet from my laptop.

Keep in mind XP Home does have a Remote Desktop client. It can connect to a system running XP Pro acting as the Remote Desktop Server. If you plan on using the feature, both computers do not need to be running Pro, only the server.

christiaan said:
'Home' is great for DAWs

I was going to state the exact same info.

spin

Well, it sounds like I'd be better off with Home, so Home it is.

I am, however, curious about how Remote Desktop works, and what benefits it gives you. I'm guessing it allows you to, say, control your home computer with your laptop, but wouldn't you lose performance if your laptop wasn't as fast as your home computer?

brzilian said:
An awesome feature BTW! :)

I use it for other things as well. It is so cool to be working remotely and be able to access my home computer to do work or check my email. I have run programs like 3D Studio MAX and Photoshop remotely over the internet from my laptop.
I love the remote desktop feature as well. Already hard to imagine a life without it. Apart from the networking features that I really need as a soon to be microsoft certified professional, the remote desktop feature is worth the extra money for the Pro version alone IMHO.

Back