XLR Wiring

gatorhaus

Greetings all, long time no hear (from me).

Long story, lightning stirke on the house, computers broke, vacation.....etc...etc...blah....blah...blah..:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've been lurking at work, but couldn't post.

Question............

I'm soldering in my XLR wall plates. Double checking.

Pin 1. Shield/Ground
Pin 2. Black (+)
Pin 3. Red (-)

I guess Pin 2 and 3 it doesn't matter as long as its the same on the other end.

Now. There's a tab with a hole in it that doesn't look like it gets connected to anything. This Stays EMPTY -- Right?--- Just making sure before I proceed with the other room. I couldn't find any thing for this extra tab, so I assume it is left alone.

Good to post again. Will post some pics soon.

Larry

Yes, the wires dont really matter as long as you use the same pin on both jacks. As far as the tab? I have looked at all my xlr jacks, and I dont have any empty tabs. Just soldier the three connectors.

Larry - I'd use a consistent common colour code so if you have to fix it later you know what is what.

Make sure you make the shield shorter than the other two so if there is a strain on it the shield takes the weight. (BTW that's probably what the extra tab is - a duplicate earth)

cheers
john

The extra tab is for bonding the body of the XLR to the ground. I always leave this one un connected.

Thanks all for the backup check.

John, I used black as my hot (or +) since that is how my electrical system is wired. It made since to me :) .

Got 20 - XLRs wired and 12 - 1/4" balanced jacks done last night.

later,
larry

John - that's what I did. I used Marshal Soundrunner through the walls. It has a foil shield and drain (OK shield) wire running with the foil. Makes it a whole lot easier to solder instead of twisting shield or soldering a jumper to the shield. I pulled the drain wire tight to the pin before soldering. This also keeps the cable from flexing too much which might cause a piece of the foil (cut short as possible) to touch the hot or cold pins.

Back