XLR vs 1/4"

mintwax

My RME digi96/PST audio card does not have a XLR input. So I need to convert my mics to 1/4" input. Is there any difference in sound quality when recording XLR straight vs. converting XLR to 1/4"?

The FAQ on the homerecording.com page mentioned an impedance adapter when converting from XLR to 1/4". Does this affect the sound?

Can I use a microphone preamp as an impedance adapter? Is there a difference in sound quality? (I assume mic preamps have XLR inputs and 1/4" outputs.) If I'm just using dynamic mics, can I still use mic preamp? Will the phantom power on the preamp blow up my mic?

I read somewhere that a mixer without XLR inputs is going to be the weak link. And that all professional mixers have XLR inputs. This made me think that there is a difference in quality between XLR and 1/4".

Well, I took a quick look at RME's site. Since the analog ins on your card are -4/+10, you can use either balanced or unbalanced. This means that you don't need a transformer for you XLR to 1/4" conversion, instead you can just use XLR to balanced (stereo) 1/4". But, since that card doesn't have preamps, you'll need one to bring the signal up to line-level. Then you can just use the 1/4" output on the preamp to run into the card. No, phantom power won't hurt your dynamics (as long as they aren't old ribbon mics). There is no appreciable difference between 1/4" balanced connections and XLR. Unbalanced connections/cables may degrade signal quality - especially in long cable runs.

Back