XLR vs. 1/4 TRS

noground

If two items in my signal chain accept both 1/4" TRS and XLR, is there any reason to choose one of these options above the rest?

XLR to XLR
TRS to TRS
XLR to TRS
TRS to XLR

Some have told me these are all "equivalent" and the difference is only cosmetic, but I'm not sure I buy that. I've been led to believe that only XLR can transmit phantom power, and 1/4" jacks often transmit the signals of high impedence devices, but is there really a difference? Would it be best just to choose the TRS to TRS because it is the cheapest of those above cables?

thanks for any help!

If you are in fact talking about TRS, not TS, and all other things being equal (cable quality, etc), the only difference I can think of would be contact area on the connections.

Hmmm...

gnarled, I am sure I mean TRS... you may be right about contact area, I hadn't thought of that.

My Roland VS1680 only puts out phantom power through the XLR inputs, but I'm not sure whether this is a universal convention.

I also heard something about a relationship between the outside metal on the XLR cord and the effectiveness of the ground... but I don't remember where I heard this...

So for now I'm assuming that there's no big difference (unless other people have ideas to propose), so I'll probably go with 1/4" uness I get the resources to compare them and hear for myself.

I'm no expert on this subject but have heard it is always desireable to stay with the balanced XLR connections...are the 1/4" TRS balanced?

zip >>

Re: Expert...

How IRONIC....I just became an Expert member on a post where I claim not to be one..... ;)

....still not one - but slowly getting there. :)

Thanks for that bit of info...the RNC compressor utilizes TRS and I was afraid they were unbalanced...

Where did that 179 US go???;)

thanks! zip >>

Actually, the RNC is unbalanced, the TRS is used as a send/return for your console's inserts (i.e. just need one TRS cable for both the channel send to the RNC from the board, and then back from the RNC into the board's returns). Check out the website at http://www.fmraudio.com
I wouldn't worry too much about the RNC being unbalanced. My tracking chain is Great River MP2 (unbalanced) into my RNC, and then into my Delta 44 (unbalanced), never run into noise problems (except for my CPU and the washer/dryer upstairs)

zip said:
Thanks for that bit of info...the RNC compressor utilizes TRS and I was afraid they were unbalanced...

Where did that 179 US go???;)

thanks! zip >>

Back