XLR, RCA, converters

va5ja

Hi there!

I was wondering. My Quatafire 610 has in total 4 analouge line inputs that can be used directly into a mutitrack sequencer. Two mix/line inputs in front and two line inputs in the back. Now in the back there are two RCA line inputs. Is it possible to connect a microphone to RCA input. Is there any XLR (female) to RCA (male) cable? What's the sound like, are there any cons with XLR-RCA cables? I'm trying to connect three microphones that's why I was wondering this things. The other thing is if I would be able to separate and XLR cable into two. so that I would connect two microphones to just one input. I think there are some "two to one" XLr converters but is there any problem with the sound card. I know I won't be able to control gain on each but on both at same time. So what's your opinion.

Mic connections are balanced inputs, and you need to run a balanced line to properly connect a mic.

Any cable/input (except digital) that uses RCA connectors is unbalanced, so no - you can't use it as a mic input.

In addition, mics require preamps to raise their signal level to a usable point, most inputs using RCAs expect a line-level signal, which a mic won't provide.

You can, however, run the mic to its own pre and then connect the outputs of that pre to the RCA inputs..........

What about a spliter. XLR cable that splits into two XLR cables. Is there enough power in sound card that would amplify both? Is this possible in first place.

ummmm, if there is only one mic/XLR input, you can only input one microphone! Perhaps you could solder some sort of connection that would combine the two mic signals into one, but you would
1)run into problems with phantom power (if using condensers)
2)If it would work, the two signals would be combined when they reach the soundcard, so you wouldn't be able to have them on seperate tracks
3)I doubt it would work anyway, so ignore (2) above

va5ja said:
What about a spliter. XLR cable that splits into two XLR cables. Is there enough power in sound card that would amplify both? Is this possible in first place.

va5ja said:
No - you're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole - and that just doesn't work!

Unless you're in some alternate universe. I'm sure when Homer Simpson lands in 3-D land (one of the Treehouse of Horrors), he would be able to do it!

Blue Bear Sound said:
No - you're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole - and that just doesn't work!

he wants to put 2 or more mics into one imput, we have devices for this, they are called mixers.

get a cheap behringer 4 track mixer and run a couple of mics into it and use the outs to go into one of your soundcard's ins. as gordone said though, the signal will be mixed so all of the material that goes into the mixer will all come out as one track.

OK OK ;) I'll get myself a Behringer UB802. Another thing, is it recommended or not to connect a NON-phantom powered microphone into a phantom powered input. Is it possible that it would damage the microphone?

OK OK I'll get myself a Behringer UB802. Another thing, is it recommended or not to connect a NON-phantom powered microphone into a phantom powered input. Is it possible that it would damage the microphone?

I've wondered what the effects were myself. I've done it several times (by accident :D ) and there hasn't seemed to be any damage. I have gotten a lot more noise when i have done it though.

Back