XLR Patchbay with Hot Pluggin Protection

xcrunner28

I'm looking for an XLR patchbay but i've read that my FW-1884 interface doesn't have any protection against accidental hot plugging, is there a patchbay that has some built in features for this.

The XLR connector itself is protected against the "shorting" problem that would be caused by hot plugging a TRS connector.

The major problem with hot plugging is that it sometimes creates a noise loud enough to blow your monitors (or your head if you're wearing cans). Of course it's always a good idea to make sure the input level is turned down before plugging/unplugging any mic. It's also a good idea to make sure your monitors are turned down before plugging/unplugging anything.

Best practice, and something that it is good to make a habit of, is turning off phantom power before connecting/disconnecting any mic.

And while there may be a couple of exceptions, you want to make absolutely sure that phantom power is never "on" on an input that has a ribbon mic connected to it, as it can fry a ribbon mic.

In answer to your original question, I've never heard of such a patchbay...

Yeah i guess patch bay was the wrong word, I guess what i'm trying to say is something more along the lines of a snake so I can close of the back of my mixer and still be able to access the inputs. I saw something on a website that was just a single layer of xlr male on one side and female on the other, I was thinking that'd be nice cause if a cable goes bad I can replace it individually as opposed to buying a whole new snake.

Back