XLR Mic Cables

Making your own is probably the cheapest, but I'm too lazy to do that. Parts (& fully assembled cables) can be found at www.markertek.com and other similar sites. I've heard good things about the BLUE cables, as well, and they're not very expensive.

The Pulsar cables seem nice, is there anything bad about them? Anyway they at least look like they sound good... haha.

Thanks Thunder!

goldie said:
The Pulsar cables seem nice, is there anything bad about them? Anyway they at least look like they sound good... haha.

Thanks Thunder!

I have been using mine for a couple of months now and I have no complaints. Other than I should have ordered a lot more when I had the money!

Thunder33 said:
I have been using mine for a couple of months now and I have no complaints. Other than I should have ordered a lot more when I had the money!

haha, thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Ten-Whirlwin...ryZ41460QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Couldn't find what I was looking for but that auction is close in price to what I got. The one that I got was 54 or was it 58 shipped for 12 20ft whirlwind entry level cables. I prefer the fit of the connectors in the mics of the whirlwind's better then my pulsar's fit, but then my pulsar tech cables are 2-3years old so they may have switched connector sources as the people here on the forums have never complained about the connectors not fitting exactly right into the mics. Needless to say, pulsar or whirlwind are both probably just fine. Good luck!

actually no... i mean straight up utility extension cords. from home depot. haha. it works, just cut down an XLR cable on one end and solder it up to a male (or female whichever you want.)

i use it for instruments when i'm in a pinch for a long ass cable. i haven't tried it for XLR, but same principle, just use pos, neg, and ground instead of unbalanced pos and ground.

Jacob

Jacobi1211 said:
actually no... i mean straight up utility extension cords. from home depot. haha. it works, just cut down an XLR cable on one end and solder it up to a male (or female whichever you want.)

i use it for instruments when i'm in a pinch for a long ass cable. i haven't tried it for XLR, but same principle, just use pos, neg, and ground instead of unbalanced pos and ground.

Jacob

Please don't listen to this guy.

Ive heard of people doing that for speaker cable, but never for XLR cable. bad idea.
Jacobi1211 said:

Jacob

Jacobi1211 said:

Jacob
This only works for speaker cable.

There is no shielding in an extention cord, the wire is too thick, it's not twisted properly, etc...

This is a bad idea.

ok. you're right. i didn't know that. thanks for correcting me. i definitely should not have tried to help someone before KNOWING it was a good idea. but i would never give someone bad advice on purpose. very sorry, and thanks much for filling me in!!!

Jacob

There are some places that make pretty good cables for not much money. Not all of them are of equal quality, though. I've had pretty good luck with some from here: http://www.audiopile.net/products/products.asp

Note that they do have mic cables made from starquad cable, though it is NOT Canare cable - it is an off-brand. Nonetheless, it seems to be reliable and of good quality. I bought 100 feet of the raw cable and have been making my own wires when I needed something special, but their ready made cables are cheap enough that there's little reason to roll your own for standard stuff. Their connectors are Neutrik clones, again off-brand but good quality.

I have no connection with this company other than as a satisfied customer.

If you're ever in a pinch, which I have been, wally world sells (I think 20 foot?) xlr and instrument cables for $10 each. I've used them both and they're about the same quality or maybe a bit better than the musician's friend cables, which is'nt saying much. But hey, where else can you buy mic/instrument cables at 3 AM? At my local store, they're located in front of the registers.

Back