XLR caps? Some 2488 neo inputs are covered

Tru

Hello. I have a 2488 neo that I am struggling to understand but my question is this. On the back, some inputs are able to accept xlr and 1/4". New to me. When I looked last night, only 2 of the 4 were covered. My thought are that it is an input channel. It looks too wide open. Dust. The manual says nothing. Youtube says nothing I could find. I looked at my mic cable to see but it/they aren't there. It works it seems wrong. Has anyone experienced this besides me ? Have a good day y'all and thank you for your time

Reading the manual, inputs a,b,c and d are xlr combos, with phantom power available, and more available gain. E,f,g and h are balanced jacks and have a bit less available gain. Not sure what you mean by covered? Dust? You mean there is a hole? I dont understand what you've discovered.

Hi,
I think I understand what you're asking.
It looks like that unit has little flaps on the 1/4" / XLR input sockets, probably to protect against dust etc.

This isn't very common - I've never seen it before anyway.
Normally they're just wide open.

If that's what you're describing and some of the flaps are stuck open or missing, I'd just ignore it and move on as long as the input sockets work properly.

Unless you're recording in a sawmill dust in those inputs isn't going to be an issue.
Notice all the other 1/4" inputs and outputs are wide open. (y)

tascam-portastudio-2488-2538424.webp

Hi,
It looks like that unit has little flaps on the 1/4" / XLR input sockets, probably to protect against dust etc.

If that's what you're describing and some of the flaps are stuck open or missing, I'd just ignore it and move on as long as the input sockets work properly.

Unless you're recording in a sawmill dust in those inputs isn't going to be an issue.

View attachment 140770
Oh that’s weird…I’ve not seen that before either, but I know there are special application jacks for a wide variety of harsh environments…you can find these on the Redco site for instance…but the pictures aren’t always that great…Interesting!

Not seen that before either. Not sure I am a fan? Those flaps could come off and jam the jack's internals.

"A solution looking for a problem" IMHO!

Dave.

Yeah, seems overkill to me.
I can barely remember the last time I cleaned any of my 1/4" sockets but I definitely can't remember the last time I needed to.

If it's ever a problem get some contact cleaner on a 1/4" plug and work it in and out of the socket a few times.

I'm with you, Rob. A much more likely problem is going to be corrosion over time just from moisture in the air and I don't think those plastic flaps are going to help with that.

Is dust not an abrasive? You'd think it would help keep the contacts clewm?
Well, a tiny part of it is but it is mainly bits of you. Then, amplifiers of all sorts have had open jacks for the best part of a century, think of top panel guitar amps? Never been a problem AFAIK.

What CAN happen is the tip can come off a jack plug and be almost impossible to remove, you generally have to replace the jack. Therefore having bits of dubious benefit inside a jack seems a bad idea to me.

I have just re-read your post Rob and you could be saying you are in favour of dust ingress? Not sure I would go that far.

Dave.

Ah, now, see what happened there is that *&**&**ing BT cut my connection for the 10th time in 3 days. Got it back but it *&**^d up the format of the post.

Dave.

The little covers remind me of the covers on SPDIF optical connectors. I had one of the little "doors" break loose on the back of my receiver. Luckily I have 2 other optical channels and only need one to feed from the TV. I've never seen them on any other XLR connector.

The little covers remind me of the covers on SPDIF optical connectors. I had one of the little "doors" break loose on the back of my receiver. Luckily I have 2 other optical channels and only need one to feed from the TV. I've never seen them on any other XLR connector.
Those flaps are of course very necessary, even a small amount of dirt in an optical path can produce glitching or total loss of signal. But we don't as a rule swap optical plugs around very often, fit and forget so the flaps are unlikely to be stressed and fail.

Dave.

Hi,

View attachment 140770
Yes. First of all, Thank you for taking the time to answer. I am a spare room recorder no saw mill. It is odd, though. When the 2 different types of inputs are combined the hole that is created is bigger than either alone. I know that sounds obvious. I was using a different cables but they were long so I bought new ones and that is when I noticed. I will look and see if they are stuck in ends. I included a photo. Thank you. I am new to plugging into a sound board/recorder and I appreciate your know-how T.
Hello. I have a 2488 neo that I am struggling to understand but my question is this. On the back, some inputs are able to accept xlr and 1/4". New to me. When I looked last night, only 2 of the 4 were covered. My thought are that it is an input channel. It looks too wide open. Dust. The manual says nothing. Youtube says nothing I could find. I looked at my mic cable to see but it/they aren't there. It works it seems wrong. Has anyone experienced this besides me ? Have a good day y'all and thank you for your time

Your sockets look fine.
Of course the whole cover is missing from mic/line B but apart from that it's fine.

Those sockets are meant to accept a 1/4" plug, like a guitar lead,
or an XLR as you have plugged in.

The three points where the pins of an XLR connector would make contact are clearly visible, up close, in your picture,
and the contacts where a 1/4" plug would make contact are deeper inside but still mostly visible.

Nothing looks damaged or in any way wrong to me, except for the missing/damaged plastics, which shouldn't really make any difference in use.

It almost looks to me like there is a "cap" with the covers that has been pulled off. Look inside some of your XLR cables and see if there is a little plastic piece stuck in there. It could keep the plug from plugging in properly if used with a normal plug.

It almost looks to me like there is a "cap" with the covers that has been pulled off. Look inside some of your XLR cables and see if there is a little plastic piece stuck in there. It could keep the plug from plugging in properly if used with a normal plug.
This.

And if you've got any doubts about dust/debris getting in there - pick up some Deoxit and treat any inputs that you have concerns about.

Back