X32 As a Standalone Multitrack Recorder...?

Kiwi Sound

Per the title, I'd like to upgrade from the Tascam DP32 SD. Its a really great unit but effects, EQ etc is very basic.

I find DAWS just too distracting and prefer the more analogue direct in kind of focus hardware units provide me.

I've looked at all sorts but wonder if the Behringer X32 series works well as a standalone multitrack recorder rather than a digital mixer which is what its mostly sold as.

Another alternative, and less of an upgrade would be the Zoom L20.

Any thoughts or experience with either units?

But you need a DAW to do the recording? It’s good as an interface, but unless you’ve worked out a way to make it record more than stereo, where is the recording actually going. If you find a DAW distracting, youlll find the zillions of features pretty gob smacking, and of course some things are not physically there, like record arm on each channel. That still needs do8ng in whatever software your connected computer has?

But you need a DAW to do the recording? It’s good as an interface, but unless you’ve worked out a way to make it record more than stereo, where is the recording actually going. If you find a DAW distracting, youlll find the zillions of features pretty gob smacking, and of course some things are not physically there, like record arm on each channel. That still needs do8ng in whatever software your connected computer has?
Thanks fro the reply, im getting confused with the ability to record to 32 tracks internally via an SD card interface upgrade.

However, from further investigation that is a recording of audio direct only. Not including any of the channel strip effects etc.

Your right, no track arm, no play/rec or transport controls.

Seems like an expensive interface / mixer, for my use anyway.

Im now wondering, if I do go back to a DAW, whether I use UA Plugins exclusively, and stay within that "workspace". rather than the 600 odd VST's I have collected over the years....which are just totally distracting for a person who struggles with ADHD! :)

I just need some way to limit the scope creep (effects creep for want of a better term) that is so distracting (to me) with DAWS.

If you think the DP32SD's effects are too limited, the L20 is even more so. It's designed more as a live mixer with basic EQ, compressor and a selection of reverb/chorus choices. Your DP32 is designed as a portable "studio", not a live mixer with track recording capabilites like the LiveTrak or the Tascam Model 16 or 24.

An easy way to deal with your DAW distraction dilemma would be delete about 550 of the VSTs you have collected. Pick out the dozen or so basic effects that you use the most, pick out a 2 or 3 of the best versions and chuck the rest into a backup folder for that rare day when you MIGHT need one of those other VSTs.

I generally use less than a dozen VSTs, mostly EQ, reverb, chorus, compressor, an amp sim, and drum machine. Occasionally I'll use a Freq response, and I have the stock pitch correction that comes with Reaper. You really don't need 15 different compressors, and a dozen EQs. I don't have lots of virtual instruments (neither the L20 or Model 16 will either). I have a copy of IZotrope Elements, but I hardly ever use it.

There are a slew of VSTs included with Reaper, and I've never used 75% or more of them.

I've looked at all sorts but wonder if the Behringer X32 series works well as a standalone multitrack recorder rather than a digital mixer which is what its mostly sold as.
No you have to interface with a DAW - it doesn't record straight to disk.

Another alternative, and less of an upgrade would be the Zoom L20.
The Zoom L20 will record to disk - but that seems quite elaborate - what are you trying to do? - Record a whole band at once - or just yourself?

I did wonder if I should buy one of those cards, but I carried on using my macbook with cubase. I only need to record the channels with things connected, and the data is in the computer not requiring all that faffing around bringing in the wave files - splitting them out, and joining them up. Not sure if that SD card feature is that useful, especially as it's over two hundred quid for the board, and I already have a card in the single slot!

No you have to interface with a DAW - it doesn't record straight to disk.

The Zoom L20 will record to disk - but that seems quite elaborate - what are you trying to do? - Record a whole band at once - or just yourself?
Mostly me, up to 1-3 instruments at a time if I have band mates around but I have a permanently setup drum kit, keyboard, Bass with amp, Guitar with amps etc.

I'm actually coming around to the Tascam Model 16 or 24. I wish there was a step higher than that level that had a proper display and core editing tools built in like the digital mixers do. But it seems not.

Mostly me, up to 1-3 instruments at a time if I have band mates around but I have a permanently setup drum kit, keyboard, Bass with amp, Guitar with amps etc.

I'm actually coming around to the Tascam Model 16 or 24. I wish there was a step higher than that level that had a proper display and core editing tools built in like the digital mixers do. But it seems not.
Quit fooling around with gear with limitations - just get a DAW and you'll be set - you also don't have to worry about learning it - it's easy.

There's a reason why the Model 16 or 24 don't have lots of core editing and a "proper display". They are mixers designed for live work, with the added perk of being able to save the multitrack feed. They aren't supposed to be a studio in a box. You already have one of those with the DP32SD.

It's simply the wrong tool for what you are wanting to do. If EQ/Reverb/Compression isn't enough, then you're stuck. You either need a full blown mixing console with a rack full of effects, or you go with a DAW.

In my experience the Tascam Model 16 is very limiting and doesn't even make a great audio interface (there are too many ways to stop audio passing through). It sounds like you already have the closest to what you want with the DP32 - the next step is a DAW.

Back