WTF... Cubase LE mixing help please!

darrvid

I just got home from recording at a friends using my firebox, and got my stuff hooked up to my monitors to do some editing. But cubase isn't playing back any audio when I open the file. I can get songs (not the recorded files) to play in windows media, so I know everything is physically connected right. I have the audio files saved where they were recorded to, I can see the waveforms in cubase, but no audio plays.

What's going on here!?

I haven't tried that... but, how do I do that? I looked through the menus and can't seem to figure it out. I tried selecting the audio in the pool, and inserting to origin. Still no go.

Edit: So I started a new project, opened the pool, inserted the audio, then inserted the audio to tracks. It worked fine (each take got its own track, which helped me clean up crap takes), but as I was removing tracks I didn't want anymore (using 'remove track) the audio quit playing again. Whats up with that? It seems way too tempramental...

Last edited:
Well, I never had this type of problem. Anyway, does it work previously before you went to your friend's place? Backup your work - reinstall your Cubase or System (XP?) - these could be the culprit?

This was the first recording project I've done with Cubase. While in the session, I had no problem playing the audio back for hearing how it sounded, and overdubs, etc. I saved the work, shut everything down and headed home to do mixing/editing. I opened cubase, opened the .cpr file, and everything appears to load correctly. It shows the screen just as I left it on the last save. But when trying to play back audio, the cursur moves along the waveforms but nothing plays back. In fact, the projects I started from scratch and imported the audio from the nonworking projects, stop working if I open up those projects as well. I'm about to try some editing while at work, so I'll be using my internal soundcard, we'll see how things go.

Nope, not a bus output problem. The audio settings didn't change between saving and loading. I did some editing with my internal soundcard as the device, and had no problems. I think it might be my pcmcia firewire card, or just issues with the firebox. I had some problems getting it up and running, so it just might not be terribly stable. I'm pretty sure its just glitching, and not really a setting to fix.

Thanks for the help though, knowing how to use the pool was certainly handy.

I had this problem with SE. The little 'speaker' icons at the bottom of each track in the mixing console were turned on and when I turned them off, I could then play the recording. Hope this helps...

Bluester was right... however, if the problem persisted, just send your FirePod, PCMCIA to the manufacturer.. (i guess it's still under warranty)

I did mess with the monitor buttons, to no effect. I had driver conflicts originally, and found out the nec chipset firewire cards had problems with the firebox. While this wasn't my problem originally, now that I have it in working order I believe I'm now noticing the chipset conflict. It's not a huge issue since I'm only doing this for myself at the moment, but if I ever start helping others record I'll have to get this in more stable condition.

Back