WTB tascam 246 (244?) channel strip.. my #1 is dead!

rasdestroyer

hi

i realize that this technically probably belongs in the buy/sell forum, but i figured that posting to the analog-only section of the board would be a more direct way to get in touch with folks who might have what i'm lookin' for!

i got a free 246 portastudio offa my local craigslist from somebody who is either just insanely nice or didn't really appreciate its value. everything works great EXCEPT for the first input channel.. no signal passes when i plug a mic/line source in, and if i assign the dead channel to any of the meters they spike like crazy for half a second when i turn the machine on .. the OL light also flashes on that channel only when i power down.

i have no idea what could be causing this.. i tried swapping the cables that connect the rear inserts to the main channel strips and it had no effect, so i'm pretty sure its the main pre/EQ strip itself that's bad. If i could repair it, i'd be happy to, but i'm really at a loss at to where to start..

In any case, I thought i'd post here in the hopes that somebody with a parts 246 (or 244 if the channel strips are the same; i'm not sure if this is the case) would be willing to sell me a working board from their machine. i just need the tiny input jack&pcb the fader/pre/EQ pcb.. easily removed from the machine with a few screw turns..

i'm not sure what the value of a single channel from this machine is.. i figured something like $20-30...

any thoughts/help/offers?

thanks!
b

As you're in Washington DC, perhaps give these guys a try:
http://www.iglobal.com/SPTS/spts-04.htm

They're also a TASCAM authorized repair facility.

At least have them inspect your 246 and you'll know where you are repair wise, even if it might cost you an 'estimate fee', which is usually an hour's time or maybe they have free estimates.. It's worth checking out.

---

Back