Wrong amp purchase ... oops

BigKahuna

I recently bought a Marshall Valvestate VS265 amp. I admit that this purchase was more of an afterthought and I should have spent more time listening and comparing. I bought it at the same time I was getting a guitar (love those 'no payments until' financing deals) and played several guitars through it and thought that it would work out. It's not ... the amp just isn't doing it for me. So ... I think I'm going to take it back and get something else. I may wind up getting a lower wattage too as this amp also seem too loud. I want to crank it sometimes, yeah, but this one makes my fillings hurt when it's on 11.

So this is where you guys come in ... I expect a store credit of $644. Here's a list of what I want to for sure listen to when I get there. Any comments about any of these amps or modelers? Any ones you would add?
Thanks

Fender Hot Rod Deville 212 ... $699
" " " Deluxe ... $519
" Ultimate Chorus ... $519

Johnson JT50 Mirage ... $599

POD Spider 210 combo ... $499
POD Pro Modeler ... $599

I think you'd be better off buying a used amp. With that sort of money you can get a great used amp...like a real (tube) Marshall. Those Valvestates just don't do the trick. They have the preamp tubes, but that's not where tube warmth comes from-ya gotta have 'em in the power amp section. Of course, if you are going to apply that $644 back to your credit to use, you'll probably have to stick with what they have in stock. Maybe go with the fender and put some kinda box in front of it if you need really high gain. After all, both Marshalls and Boogies were modeled on Fender amps.

dmc

[This message has been edited by dmcsilva (edited 04-27-2000).]

... or better yet, see if they have a used Mesa Boogie - a Mk II A will probably be a wonderful thing if you can find one.

foo

I'd agree on the Deville--but as Jim Marquard said, try the 410 compared to the 212--I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the former. You're dead on about Valvestate--all I can say about them is that they stink. PPPhht.

Thanks for the responses. I've taken the Valvestate back and it already smells better in the studio :D ... seriously, that amp was OK, I guess ... but no matter what I did with it ... it always wound up sounding stale to me.
While I agree that a used amp may be the best option ... I'm dealing with GC here and don't think they have much to choose from ... and even if they did ... I wouldn't really trust those guys when it came to used stuff. I barely trust them for new stuff!
I didn't have a lot of time when I took back the amp, but I did get a chance to listen to a POD ... and must say I was impressed at the flexibility of that little unit. Sounded pretty good to me. It still strikes me as a 'gizmo' though ... so I'm still not sure if that's the right fit. I do like how versatile it is, though.
While I didn't have time to check out the Deville ... it is still at the top of the list so next time I'm there, I will for sure give it a go.
Thanks again for your comments!

Back