Written and recorded this weekend: "Til We're Dead"

zen_arcade

Dililttante.
This one turned out surprisingly upbeat and jaunty. Upbeat I guess if you ignore the lyrics. Anyway, it's got: Hammond organ, acoustic guitar, glockenspiel, bass, drums, and some epic "Wooo-ooo-ooooh" backup vocals.

As always, any and all feedback much appreciated.

John Charpentier - 'Til We're Dead

Nice song, and sounds excellent, good mix!

Some details you can improve (IMO):vox is a little hidden, I tried something around (gain) 450 hz and seems works well (in the "body" of voice). the "sss" frequencies could be "tamed" too (but "a little", nothing like it´s bad sounding)

Did you tried some pan on guitar?Maybe can help on stereo image and to make vox more "focused" on the center (well , is my speculation without listening the tracks).

Bass frequencies sounds good, the "soft" bass drum is working pretty well with bass gtr.

I´m curious about your room (dimensions, treated or not,these things) and monitors.

Congrats again.

Ciro
www.soundclick.com/openstation

CIRO - Thanks for the kind words!

The vocals do indeed feel a little hidden in the mix. Good suggestion to pan the guitar (or at least widen the image) so the vox can sit in the middle.

The room -- and indeed my whole recording setup -- is a joke. It's my bedroom in a very small, one-bedroom apartment. No wall treatment, not really a studio space at all. I play and sing into an SM57 into a Behringer digital mixer into an Audiophile 2496 card, mixed in Sound Forge and FL Studio (listen to the gearheadz scoff! Sure, sure, but I don't have thousands of dollars to blow on Protools yet). The drums are sequenced samples (obviously), the Hammond is a plugin played via controller, same with the glockenspiel, etc. The monitors are active KRK V4s which I find are outstanding in every respect and a steal at how cheap they come.

Another suggestion , listening again : a hi pass (try aroud 50 hz) to kill some sub bass "fatness"

Ciro

Back