writing styles

bemo

As a songwriter do you find yourself writing in one style more than another say like writing mostly in images as opposed to a narrative of song that follows a time line or something more experiential like a reminiscence of a period of your past like the last day of school. Also to you tend to write from one perspective more than another? Say introspective as opposed to third person omniscient.

Just curious. Personally, my songwriting is mostly first person introspective and more imagery based with little if any narration and I find myself looking at am song and thinking. Been there done that. Are there any exercises that can help a songwriter change perspective on their songwriting?

bemo said:
As a songwriter do you find yourself writing in one style more than another say like writing mostly in images as opposed to a narrative of song that follows a time line or something more experiential like a reminiscence of a period of your past like the last day of school. Also to you tend to write from one perspective more than another? Say introspective as opposed to third person omniscient.

Just curious. Personally, my songwriting is mostly first person introspective and more imagery based with little if any narration and I find myself looking at am song and thinking. Been there done that. Are there any exercises that can help a songwriter change perspective on their songwriting?

Interesting question ... I'm doing a lot of "back burner" work to improve my songwriting. Do you listen to music much that uses a different approach from yours? (Just my personal curiosity, what kind of images do you tend to use?)

I try to avoid ist person narrative as much as possible. I was writting way to many songs that contained I & me :D

Naturally, as writers if we tells stories from our experiance we do tend to tell it from the 1st person perspective. However, I have found some of my best writing occurs when I tell a story from a 3rd person perspective.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure. I would have to go back and read lyrics to get a feel for my style. I like your question as I have never even considered that I should have a writing style. I think it may help to decide before I write a song to figure out what style to write in.

I employ many techniques. Sometimes I use a lot of imagery, sometimes a bit, sometimes very little, sometimes mainly feelings. I write in 1st person, but I often write in 3rd when I want to step into the shoes of a particular character (e.g. writing a song about a homeless person, when I'm not one -- can be tough to pull off when you haven't 'been there, done that' -- but when it works, it can work great). 90% of the time, I'm a music first writer, then vocal melody, then lyric. It really depends on the theme/mood/music, and being aware of the range of perspectives. Perhaps try reading some songwriting books, but really, let your imagination run wild.

We're doing a lot more funk now, and I'm more worried about writing lyrics that fit the groove - and with a much greater sensitivity to how the singer can handle it - than in my earlier days when I'd attempt to write "deep meaningful stuff" and then put music to it.

I write from whatever person/ tense/ song type seems to work best for the song. Usually a songwriter will initially envision a song one way, but it's always good to take just a moment to explore a song from each person/ tense/ song type just to make sure you're using the one that's most appropriate for your subject matter.

There are basically three song types:

1. Story song. (Tells a story. Rocky Raccoon or The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald, i.e.)
2. Situational song. (These are story songs in disguise. The describe a current situation by telling the story that lead to it. The Search is Over or Open Arms, .i.e.)
3. Expressive song. (These aren't stories at all, but attitudes and feeleings. Dust in the Wind or Annie's Song, i.e.)

All songs will fall into one of those categories.

A

Aaron, as you like words so much, I thought I might gently point out that i.e. means "that is". "For example", which I'm pretty sure is what you meant in your post, is e.g. In both cases they go before rather than after :)

My bad.

Thank goodness I'm not writing songs in Latin or I'd be the laughing stock of the dead launguages crowd! :o

A

I have to say I am partial to writing story songs, but they can be the hardest to put together some times.

I'm with Aaron. What makes the song the best for what you want to do with it?

If you are looking for commercial success, songs that have a positive message and make the singer "look good" are often most successful in first person. In fact, one can make an argument that songs that you reach people best with "I, You, Us, We" songs. http://www.ascap.com/nashville/murphy/murphy18.html (btw...check out the rest of Murphy's Laws http://www.ascap.com/nashville/murphy.html if you get a chance. They are very instructional and this guy DOES know what he's talking about ;) ).

If the song has a difficult subject and would shed the singer in a bad light, then third person is typically the best choice. These songs are hard to pitch either way.

If you are not trying to write commercially, then you have to ask yourself what works best to get the emotional reaction you want to get from the audience (whoever they are).

Garry Sharp said:
Aaron, as you like words so much, I thought I might gently point out that i.e. means "that is". "For example", which I'm pretty sure is what you meant in your post, is e.g. In both cases they go before rather than after :)
Yep i.e. = "in effect"
e.g = "example given"

In the literal translation....

I personally write for the moment, not really thinking about it. Looking at my work, it seems like I've gotten a pretty fair balance in my writing.... 1st and 3rd person naratives, story songs, feeling songs.

Of course I haven't recorded most of them...:o

It's All About Me

mikeh said:
I try to avoid ist person narrative as much as possible. I was writting way to many songs that contained I & me :D

Naturally, as writers if we tells stories from our experiance we do tend to tell it from the 1st person perspective. However, I have found some of my best writing occurs when I tell a story from a 3rd person perspective.

I hadn't thought about it but after reading this I went back and found that over half my songs are 1st person also. What an egomaniac. I'm heading back to the tool shed see ya in ten years. :(

Don't worry too much about avoiding first person. A high percentage of the #1 country songs are written in first person. Just write well in first person if that is what the song needs.

First person does not equal writing about yourself.

Wheh!

After I posted I got to thinking about it and a good majority of the songs I like are in 1st. I still think I need to go back and re-think some lyrics. Broaden the horizens and such

Back