Writing songs?

East Villian

Is there really any limits to writing?

I'm writing small poems, and a few r&b/hip-hop songs. I find its a bit hard writing, when I'm neutral. I think its alot easier to write it when Ive had emotions, does anybody agree?

I'm here to learn, and I'm all ears.

I like to write about ripping peoples limbs off and raping they're unborn children... It seems people can relate.

East Villian said:
Is there really any limits to writing?

I'm writing small poems, and a few r&b/hip-hop songs. I find its a bit hard writing, when I'm neutral. I think its alot easier to write it when Ive had emotions, does anybody agree?

I'm here to learn, and I'm all ears.

Couldn't agree more. I'm into hip-hop so I can relate with you even more, but you definately want to be at a great time of emotion - or be really emotional about your message + the lyrics you're saying (or will say, seen as you haven't made them yet). I find that the perfect way to get your emotions running and to be feelin' the right type of emotions is to get the beat you're planning on using, put it on loop, listen to it through a few times and put your mind at ease for the first time, then start imagining that you're flowing on it and it should start to come to you - then, leaving it on loop, go through your normal precedure of writing lyrics.

It's always worked for me.

Although I believe the best art comes through strong emotional turmoil (great love, great sadness, etc.) a writer must be able to write even when the muse is not present.

Most of the most successful songwriters (at least in terms of commercial success) claim that they force themselves to write almost every day. It seems logical that any skill is refined with constant application and repetition.

However, I personally do not force myself to write - I do wait for something to hit. Although the best song I've ever written was one that I sat down with the soul intention of writing a good song - so in that case I guess I did "force myself" to write.

When I'm feeling emotional, I get too distracted..

I feel like I can only write when I'm feeling rather neutral, or in a relaxed good kinda mood.

Of course, my songs aren't very deep. They're written for an elementary school audience

Back