Writing promotional material

leavings

Hi all,

I haven't posted here in a while, but I've been lurking about, occasionally reading and keeping up with the goings-on while I work on my third album. I had an idea I wanted to submit to the hive for ridicule, praise, and/or other feedback.

Today I was drafting copy for the Sonicbids account of the Irish band I recently joined. I'm a sterling writer (imo); I earn most of my living from freelance writing and editing, but I had never thought to apply my skills to promotion beyond the work I do for my own projects. Suddenly it hit me that there must be a market for such work. I've been witness to an army of shabby press kits; surely some of those unfortunate self-promoters would be willing to pay for more flattering and effective material.

So my question to you is, how much would such a service be worth? How much would you pay for high-quality promotional text? How much for a complete bio? How much for an elevator pitch? I'm trying to gauge if the market value would be adequate to make the work worth my while. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for reading and (hopefully) offering your opinion!

Cheers,
Peter

Hi all,

I haven't posted here in a while, but I've been lurking about, occasionally reading and keeping up with the goings-on while I work on my third album. I had an idea I wanted to submit to the hive for ridicule, praise, and/or other feedback.

Today I was drafting copy for the Sonicbids account of the Irish band I recently joined. I'm a sterling writer (imo); I earn most of my living from freelance writing and editing, but I had never thought to apply my skills to promotion beyond the work I do for my own projects. Suddenly it hit me that there must be a market for such work. I've been witness to an army of shabby press kits; surely some of those unfortunate self-promoters would be willing to pay for more flattering and effective material.

So my question to you is, how much would such a service be worth? How much would you pay for high-quality promotional text? How much for a complete bio? How much for an elevator pitch? I'm trying to gauge if the market value would be adequate to make the work worth my while. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for reading and (hopefully) offering your opinion!

Cheers,
Peter

Actually, you'll be suprised. Services like that are considered very valuable. Companies like ours, have no time or no in house graphic artists or designers.
BUT
I don't know about "high quality text" :p
We tend to purchase in merch packages, Flyer's, buttons, brochures, stickers, posters, etc.
For press kits, you can get good business in those as well. Being a label, I've seen sub-par pk's all around, leaning me away from checking the talent out from the start. pk's for labels, are great too. I currently do not have a pk designer either, needed for magazines, newsletters, anything for the press themselves.

So you're saying that there is sufficient demand for such a service, but only as a package deal? Customers wouldn't want to pay for just the written portion; they want a complete press kit from one source?

So you're saying that there is sufficient demand for such a service, but only as a package deal? Customers wouldn't want to pay for just the written portion; they want a complete press kit from one source?

I wouldn't say "only" but it definitely would be more stable clientel with corporate accounts than regular consumers.

Back