Writing in layers

Freddy

I am somewhat old-fashioned and only write songs from a basic idea, using a guitar to build a basic tune - then I polish it and fit in other stuff around that.

I started to use a computer recently as a sort of scratchpad, a place to capture the songs.

However, now I have started to use a computer, it strikes me that other possibilities open up. and that other people do things differently.

You could, for example, build a song in layers. Lay down a rhythm, lay parts over it and build an idea from there.

I think it could help me to try different ways of approaching the writing process. Does anyone do it this way?

If you do, how do you go about it? Any traps to watch out for? Does it end up sounding formulaic, or does it help to bring greater variety?

Do you use another approach altogether? Vary up the instrument? Use a VSTi for an instrument you cannot play to see what comes up? What works for you?

Freddy said:
Do you use another approach altogether? Vary up the instrument? Use a VSTi for an instrument you cannot play to see what comes up? What works for you?

I have sat down at the computer with my guitar before, with abosulutely no specific ideas in mind, just to see what comes up. It can be enjoyable and worthwhile. Recently, I went through a period of building up five or six tracks, each consisting of one note repeated, so you have a droning chord. Then I used a separate track for a melody line. It was fun to do, totally unplanned, and I got some great ideas from it.

In terms of using a computer as a sketchpad, I think it's a good plan. Recently, I bought one of these, http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1901 (around 300 dollars on a trip to the States), and I have found it great for just throwing down some chords, or experimenting with tunings/harmonies, etc. Only six inches by 3 and a half, and it runs off batteries, so I can throw in a set of headphones, and bring it anywhere with me.

As for composing using an unfamiliar instrument - this can be great. I find that with the guitar, particularly when it's in standard tuning, I am likely to ignore my ear and play in accordance with finger shapes - something I hate doing. However, I don't know any piano theory whatsoever, so taking out my trusty old Casio keyboard, I can pick out melodies that I may not have otherwise discovered.

You can also use Guitar Pro or Power-Tab (which is free) to transpose songs into sheet music that can be played back in MIDI.

This can help a lot with arrangement and coming up with new ideas.

I usually start off with an (interesting) chord progression and work from there. With one of those programs you can get an idea of what kind of instruments will sound good with the song, and which ones won't.

And if you don't have a MIDI keyboard you can render the MIDI through a VSTi (virtual instrument) and use it in your mix.

Freddy said:
I am somewhat old-fashioned and only write songs from a basic idea, using a guitar to build a basic tune - then I polish it and fit in other stuff around that.

I started to use a computer recently as a sort of scratchpad, a place to capture the songs.

However, now I have started to use a computer, it strikes me that other possibilities open up. and that other people do things differently.

You could, for example, build a song in layers. Lay down a rhythm, lay parts over it and build an idea from there.

I think it could help me to try different ways of approaching the writing process. Does anyone do it this way?

If you do, how do you go about it? Any traps to watch out for? Does it end up sounding formulaic, or does it help to bring greater variety?

Freddy - writing in layers sounds like it would work pretty well. It would work somewhat like a 4-track cassette but with many more tracks. One advantage might be that if you started with a click track, you could actually build your song layer by layer on that one "song file" and then select the tracks you wanted for the final mixdown. You could just mute the ones you didn't want. Sounds much more powerful writing tool than a cassette player IMO.
:) :cool: :) :cool:

Yeah I write in layers its easier for me to do it that way. But I haven't tried it with music just with my lyrics. I tend to re-write a song a few times before its finished I first just come up with a title and write out where I want the lyrics to go and when I re-write them I add more detail to it.

Back