writing a song to sing with piano

UNIQNESS

i'm trying to write a song to sing with piano and i'm not really sure how i'm supposed to write it. when i hear songs which singers sing the melody and play the piano/keyboard at the same time, they don't play the melody on their piano/keyboard. it seems like they play some kind of other melody and chords but the melody is not same melody the singer sings. my question is, if they are playing chords with left hands and singing melody with their voice, what does their right hand play? and how would i write all three parts on sheet music?

if you have no clue what i'm talking about, here's some examples: frankie J - don't wanna try, keith martin - because of you

thanks in advance.

The right and left hand parts of the piano are just playing accompanyment. They are playing a naturally flowing chord progression.

Perhaps the singer is singing 2 bars in the key of C, then your hands will be playing just about anything as long as it's in C, sounds good, and has the tempo and rythym you want for the song.

Let the left hand play some chords, let the right hand perhaps also play chords, or arpeggios or whatever.

You can have the right hand follow melody if you like, but can get weird if you are pressing every melody key with the singer. However, I still like to let the right hand hit the melody on its highest note. That is, if the singer is hitting high C, then if I play a chord in the right hand, my pinky will hit high C but not higher. Sometimes it sounds odd if you clearly hit what sounds like a melody note but it is higher then the singer. Makes it sound like they sang the wrong note.
But of course there are no rules!

Put the singers on staffs of their own just like any other instrument.
Use a G staff for Sopranos and Altos and an F staff for Bass and Baritone

The right hand (G staff) piano can be playing other voicings (inversions) of the current chord that harmonizes with the singers melody note. Why does that seem like a problem to you?

if it helps, just pretend you left hand is a bass and your right hand is a guitar. play a bass line with the left and some chordal accompaniment/harmony with the right.

or just hammer out some chords and rock out.

Back